First light with Gemini upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

I have been a "push to" man for several years with my G11 mount. I am more into astro photography and also swing a big Meade 14 on the mount. I had no need for goto at the time.
My girlfriend is into astronomy as much as I am. I bought her a CG5 Advanced GoTo mount to use with a C8 scope when I am out imaging. Setting that mount up and using it was a blast. I made a serial cable for it and connected the mount to The Sky program. She was able to see more objects in one night than I have in a year. So I thought it was time to upgrade my G11 to Gemini.

Ordered the upgrade and it arrived in just a few days. Downloaded the setup instructions from Losmandy. The instructions need work. Someone should create new ones. I spent two days reading and rereading the Gemini manual. I also made a RS232 cable for the mount. This past Saturday was clear, so I packed both mounts in the Jeep and we drove out to the dark site, later than I wanted, and setup both scopes.
I set hers up first. I like the hand controller on the CG5. It took just a few minutes and she was hitting each object dead center at f10 using a 23 mm lens.

Then it was time for my G11. I turn on the mount in home position and start to do a star align. It slews to the first star and I look at the hand controller and see that the screen is black. I start again and the screen goes black. Aparently it is the way it functions. You have to remember what mode you are in. But after a few tries and fixing a loose power plug, I got it working and was able to slew to each object without issue. So, we both are all over the sky with our mounts. I then went to taking an image of M16 but the clouds came in and we had to leave the site.

All in all it was fun to be able to go to a target directly. No more pushing the scope around. Using the SKY6 software to move the scope for me made it too easy. I had my TEC 140 on the mount. I will try the Meade 14 at the next clear night. I wish I had done this years earlier.

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Congrats!

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

Way to go, Dwight! I like Gemini and it will serve you very well.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics