7 replies to this topic

#1 Canon Pete

Canon Pete

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hi

Wondering if anyone has knowledge of working load of CG5 , mostly for imaging. Reason I ask is that I have a SW 200 f5 Newt. Beast of a scope and requires additional CW on shaft. Also I have a C80 , would like to use it side by side but unsure if its actually possible with out stressing the mount.

Seems to be a bit of conflicting advice re weight limit around the net , hence asking here if any one has personal experience.

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

I wouldn't push a CG5 much past 15~18 lbs for AP. You could go higher but you will be limited to ~60sec exposures.

#3 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

I use my CG-5 (ASGT...whatever you want to call it!) with a C8 and an Onyx 80EDF. It's at the top of the load no doubt about it...however it's usable for photography as long as there is little to no wind. I wouldn't recommend loading it down that much though. I probably have close to 26lbs on the mount which requires both counterweights to be clear at the bottom of the shaft.

http://www.flickr.co...57618142057532/

I have a side by side plate coming which should keep things a little closer to center and should allow me to raise up the counterweights a little bit.

I think that if you can stay under or around 15lbs then that's probably best with this mount for AP. More weight is possible but if you want to avoid some headache keep it lighter! I believe the mount is rated at 28lbs. General rule is to half that for AP.

Jared

#4 Canon Pete

Canon Pete

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

Thnx Lleege and Jared

Jared , can I ask what length of exposure you're getting , maximum without bloating/trailing with that set up ?

One of the problems ( IMHO ) is the sheer length of the 200mm Newt OTA I have. Quivers at the slightest touch , tho' using a lappy to view / image away from mount does help.

#5 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

I'm imaging with a DSLR so I don't tend to go beyond 10 minutes. I've had good results up to 10 minutes and I can go unguided with the mount for up to 3 minutes with only the refractor on the mount. I've never tried any unguided exposures with the full setup.

If you already have the CG-5 you might as well give it a shot. You might want to make a cheapo guidescope out of a 9x50 finder though...that would weigh a lot less than a C80.

When fully loaded my setup is pretty shakey, which is why I can only image when it's calm.

Jared

#6 Canon Pete

Canon Pete

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Cheers Bud , I had thought of using the Finder from the the SW, its slightly better than the C80's one. Just need to get myself a film canister to mount the webcam to to FS

#7 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

I have a C8, Orion ST 80mm guidescope, guide rings etc, my factory finderscope, DSLR plus focal reducer, and T -adapter etc mounted on the CG5. So far I have been able to get 5 min subs with very good results, and could probably go higher. In total my weight is just over 20 pounds. A bit much, and the lighter you can go the better, however, it is doable IMO.

#8 Canon Pete

Canon Pete

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Thnx HB , beginning to think a SCT would have been a better choice for the mount in tandem with the C80.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics