• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Agent M27

Agent M27

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa ,FL

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

I currently have an Orion XT10, which is serving me very well! I love the ease of set-up from my dobsonian, but it gets a bit cumbersome to keep pushing & nudging especially when I am heavily zoomed in on my target and in a second it blasts out of my FOV :mad: I have decided I need to make the move to GOTO/CGEM. I know there are the EQ platforms for Dobs, but I am uncertain of their accuracy, I plan to do some AP. So which mount? I believe my OTA weighs in at around 30lbs, maybe less, which is the upper end of any mount which I can afford. 4k on a mount isn't in the cards :bawling: Would the Atlas or Sirius EQ-G or another mount option suffice? I am thinking to do AP a pier would be better than a tripod but have no idea. I really do not want to give up my light bucket, but this thing is big and sitting on top of a mount & tripod/pier seems like the eye piece would be unreachable with out a ladder.. So I now am also considering, depending on total costs, going the mid range refractor route in exchange for my dob(just for fun lets throw in the possibility of me picking up a C11 SCT). At any rate I will need a mount regardless of which scope I choose. Thanks in advance everyone. I am way behind at work because AM has so many awesome deals! I find it very hard to pass up a good deal.. :cool: Clear skies to you all

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

Sirius will be at edge with 10" reflector. I ahve heq5 (sirius) with 8" f5 newtonian and for astrophotography maybe 10" with the guidescope and cameras will not be very good. But atlas (eq6 pro) seems to be capable of astrophotography with 10" newtonian and the other gear. About the refractor - i don't know. Ia have always been reflector guy so here i can't help. The XT10 seems very good for astrophotography in combination with atlas and autoguiding. You will probably need also coma corrector at f4.7. At f5 coma is not a problem for me for visual but with photography it is visible and need correction in my opinion. About the height and position of eyepiece - i do not have any problems with my 8" f5 newtonian + sirius mount and i can always look through the eyepiece regardless of where the telescope is pointing. With 10" and atlas you will maybe need small ladder or something to climb onto for some positions.

#3 Agent M27

Agent M27

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa ,FL

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

What else would I need to attach my scope to the new mount whether it be an atlas or not? I know I would need rings... Also would the dobsonian mount adapters on the side of my tube interfere and need to be removed? Thanks again in advance guys!

Joe

#4 wbrogdo1

wbrogdo1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lakeland, FL

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

The mount adapters shouldn't be in the way of mounting the tube. In addition to the rings you would need a dovetail.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics