Photo

Concerns over CGEM dependability?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 alanon

alanon

Nobody tells me anything

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

I am now exactly 2 weeks away from my purchase of a mount for my 98mm FLT. I am still up in the air over the choice between the CGEM and the Atlas EQG.

The main reason for my confusion as to which mount to choose is the dependability issue. Yes the CGEM has functionality that I would like to have, but it also seems to be that a flood of posts have been made with faulty units being purchased. Most of the problems seem to be electronic, but a problem is a problem.

The Atlas, on the other hand, has less up to date electronics, but certainly seems less likely to be a candidate for electronic failure and the painful return procedure.

HELP!!!!

What is a guy to do? Are the CGEMs as dicey a prospect as they appear here on CN?

Are the EQGs as rock solid(electronically) as they appear, or is it just that they are not selling?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

(It is really down to only these two for financial reasons so upgrade advice is not useful.)

#2 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

I would buy a CGEM..the HC is more ftiendly than Atlas..and have the same capacity. Of course sometimes you get lemons..but i have too see some people who get sometimes a lemon atlas.

IF i wanted to buy a new GEM i would go the CGEM..the atlas is nice but i think the CGEM gives more bang for the buck.

#3 Peds

Peds

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I recently purchased the Atlas EQ-G over the CGEM mainly because at my latitude, it would be safer to own an Atlas than a CGEM. No regrets at all!

It has worked and continues to work very well and I love how quiet the mount operates. The HC is fine, but I love having the mount connected to my laptop running The Sky 6. I'm also starting to mess around with EQMOD which at first glance seems to be an awesome piece of software! Oh, and by the way, you don't need any of that EQDIR and Shoestring adapters if you purchase the Go-To version. I have yet to encounter any problems simply connecting to my laptop from my HC.

Maybe the polar alignment routine with the CGEM would speed up my setup (especially since the polar alignment scope stars in the southern hemisphere are so dim), but I'm picky with my polar alignment and drift align anyways, so it's not a major loss in my case.

Right out of the box, the PE of my mount seems quite nice and smooth.

I have to admit though, the CGEM does look way better than the Atlas! :p

P.

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:58 AM

Alanon you live in USA so as far as i know you can buy the CGE and if it has problems you can easily get it repaired or replaced within a week or so. I personally as europe user will not risk when so many reports on CN indicate problems. About the atlas or eq6 as known in europe - it is very popular mount for astrophotography in europe.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

I am now exactly 2 weeks away from my purchase of a mount for my 98mm FLT. I am still up in the air over the choice between the CGEM and the Atlas EQG.

If go-to accuracy is important to you, and you don't want to use EQMOD, get the CGEM.

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

Neptun2 - CGE what? a week? not from Celestron! no way... maybe 8 weeks? They require (after verification of proof of purchase) to return the unit and you have to wait for them to send you a shipping label and quote an 8 week turnaround. This from recent personal experience on a new mount.

In some cases a reseller will provide a replacement but not Celestron.

#7 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

Ok so it depends of the reseller then. I thought that 8 weeks of waiting can not happen in USA but apparently i am wrong. Everything depends on the good choice of reseller then.

#8 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hello,

About the atlas or eq6 as known in europe - it is very popular mount for astrophotography in europe.

Err.., To be fair, a more accurate description of the European situation would be to say that the EQ6 is all that was AVAILABLE as an alternative to Celestron's CG5, until the CGEM :smirk:

If you wanted / want anything else, you have to ship it in from abroad.

Regards,

skybsd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics