Any plans for mid-sized Meade mounts?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that Meade only offers two mounts? The LXD75 for $600 and the MAX for $30,000.
Does anybody know if they plan on expanding...??

Even the small guys, comparatively speaking (Orion, Losmandy, Skywatcher etc) have more options... :question:

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that Meade only offers two mounts? The LXD75 for $600 and the MAX for $30,000.

Even the small guys, comparatively speaking (Orion, Losmandy, Skywatcher etc) have more options... :question:

A lot of us have hoped for a MiniMax. Will that happen? Only Meade knows.

#3 Muffin Research

Muffin Research

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

Well they do have that gap filled up with 8"/10"/12"/14"/16" fork mounts but those come with a telescope attached. :grin:

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

A lot of us have hoped for a MiniMax. Will that happen? Only Meade knows.

Yup. In the years between the LXD650/LXD750 and the LXD55 they didn't offer any German EQ mounts at all except for the department store models.

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

Right now I think Meade is fighting for its life. Losing money and with a market capitalization as small as lots of Silicon Valley homeowners' home equity line, Meade really doesn't have resources to do a lot of R&D currently. I'm pulling for them. They've been in a bad way and bounced back before, but I don't think they've ever been in this dire of a predicament. Perhaps Synta's chief competitor could swoop in and buy them and infuse some much needed capital. Meade is a respected brand and has a great channel of dealers. It would be a good buy for an Asian optics maker looking for a distribution network in the US and Europe.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics