Photo

CGEM Hand Controller

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

I recently posted about the CGEM hand controller going blank. After speaking with Celestron tech support I discovered that this is not a rare problem with these HC's. It seems that if you live in an area with moderately high humidity you need to cover the HC with something to keep the humidity from invading the HC and shorting out the electronics. This is straight for Celestron. You can also attach a dew heater to the back or use a cover case for the HC. I found them at Scope Stuff. Needless to say I ordered a case for mine. Just a little info for all.

#2 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

So have you received you new HC yet? I wish that was my problem. They want me to send it in for them to look at. It might be out for up to two months. I hope you get ours up and running soon.
Dan

#3 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Dan, I purchased my CGEM 1100 fron OPT on May 1st so I called them and they sent out a new one for me right away and I sent mine back to them. I should have it by the weeks end. Since I recently purchased it it was no problem to get an exchange. The people at OPT in Oceanside, Calif. Are great people to work with when you have a problem with something to purchased from them. Hope this helps.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

I recently posted about the CGEM hand controller going blank. After speaking with Celestron tech support I discovered that this is not a rare problem with these HC's. It seems that if you live in an area with moderately high humidity you need to cover the HC with something to keep the humidity from invading the HC and shorting out the electronics. This is straight for Celestron. You can also attach a dew heater to the back or use a cover case for the HC. I found them at Scope Stuff. Needless to say I ordered a case for mine. Just a little info for all.

I'm sure that is what you were told, but I am dubious:

1. How much does a California cat know about humidity? :lol:
2. I have used the NexStar controllers countless times in my dew-drenched swamp without ill effect of any kind.

He may be guessin'...again, the usual problem is the ribbon cable.

#5 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

May well have been Rod ,but since it is under warranty I wasn't about to take it apart and check. Wish I could have though. Thanks

#6 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Also, they did say that they can't confirm that it is the humidity but they seem to have had complaints from high humidity area about the same problem. As you said though, and I agree, I think it is also the ribbon cable.

#7 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

Well Uncle Rod, I received my new hand controller today from OPT and it worked just fine so it looks as though it may HAVE been the ribbon cable that came out. I also received the HC case I ordered from Scope Stuff and it is a well made case that should eliminate any dew problem in the future, if in fact that may have been the problem instead. Thanks for your advise and help.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

Well Uncle Rod, I received my new hand controller today from OPT and it worked just fine so it looks as though it may HAVE been the ribbon cable that came out. I also received the HC case I ordered from Scope Stuff and it is a well made case that should eliminate any dew problem in the future, if in fact that may have been the problem instead. Thanks for your advise and help.

Great! Again, I wouldn't worry about dew...I think this was probably something the tech-support person just pulled out of his a**. Me and my buddies use NexStar HCs down here in the swamp on nights when the dew and humidity is so bad that the telescopes are _raining_ without problems. Still, that case might be a good idea on general principles, I reckon.
:cool:

#9 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:19 AM

What is the phone number and who do you contact about a replacement HC? Mine went blank after four nights of use at the Green Bank Star Party. This was the first time I got to use it since buying it last month. The hand box still works but the screen is blank now. Also I was wondering if the cause is moisture will it dry and start working again or is it fried?
Thanks Buddy

#10 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

could You point out a weblink for the HC case ?
Is it: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_smcc.htm

Do they ship worldwide :confused:

#11 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

blb, where did you buy your CGEM from? I contacted the company where I purchased it and they replaced it for me. Otherwise you will need to contact Celestron and send it to them. If you have to do that I feel sorry for you as they may take a month or more to get it back to you.

#12 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

PhilCo126, yes, that is the correct url for the case and I do believe they ship anywhere. Just ask. The only drawback with the case is that you cannot put the HC in it's holder with it on, but velcro is the answer. Hope this helps.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

could You point out a weblink for the HC case ?
Is it: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_smcc.htm

Do they ship worldwide :confused:

If you need a case (dew is generally NOT a problem, but cold can be), the easiest and CHEAPEST (what _I_ like) "case" for a NexStar HC is a sock. Yep. If it gets cold, I put mine in an insulated Timberland sock. If it gets REAL cold I put a chemical hand warmer in there with it (rare). No, a cast off sock is not a purty as a REAL CASE but nobody can tell in the dark, luckily. :lol:

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

What is the phone number and who do you contact about a replacement HC? Mine went blank after four nights of use at the Green Bank Star Party. This was the first time I got to use it since buying it last month. The hand box still works but the screen is blank now. Also I was wondering if the cause is moisture will it dry and start working again or is it fried?
Thanks Buddy

The phone number is the support number for Celestron. If your HC is still in warranty, that is the thing to do.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics