• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'm looking to build a new mount for my Orion XT10i, including the object locator. My stock mount is showing it's age, and I want to build a new one with Baltic birch. I have some Ebony Star and Teflon for the AZ bearings, and I'm OK with the stock ALT setup (unless I come across something better and easy to make). Does anyone have plans and/or dimemsions to do this? Thanks.

#2 Project Galileo

Project Galileo

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson County, Colorado

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

I have thought about this same project for my XT10i perhaps this fall and winter. However, I have not seen any plans for this project. I was just going to copy the original in some exotic wood and transfer hardware. I will be interested to see if someone else has done this too.

#3 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

That's what I may end up doing as well. I'll keep looking around, because I have a feeling that others have done this already, as the original mount deteriorates over time due to moisture, etc., and I'd also like the lighter weight and look of wood. I'll post anything I can find here.

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

You can use the original mount as a template for the new one. After roughly cutting each part to size clamp each panel to a panel from the old base and trim to exact shape and size with a router fitted with a trimming bit. They have a ball-bearing guide along the top or bottom of the bit that guides the router and enables you to get exact duplicates. A circle cutting jig will then make cutting out the ground board and rocker bottom quick and easy. If you don't have these tools, see if you can borrow them. They're not too difficult to learn how to use and they are a must for many other kinds of wood working projects too. I would use yellow carpenter's glue such as Titebond II or III and biscuits to join your base, there will be no screw holes to hide and driving screws edgewise into plywood could wedge the plies apart too. That is avoided with biscuits and the joints are strong too when properly made. Finish with three or even four thin coats of exterior polyurethane. I don't recommend staining Baltic Birch because it does not stain all that well but several coats leaves a nice amber like patina on the plywood when sanded correctly. Get all traces of glue off first before varnishing, because even without stain stray traces of glue will show up and look awful.

Taras

#5 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, Taras.
Are there any good wood choices other than Baltic birch? I'd like this project to look nice as well as have good functionality.

#6 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

While you are at it, you might want to check out one of collapsible mount options -- really helpful for getting it all to fit in the car.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics