Photo

SynScan V3.25 Out (Atlas, Sirius, EQ6, HEQ5, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:28 AM

Skywatcher has the latest SynScan version, V3.25, on its download site:

SynScan V3.23 Download

Fixes include correcting the down scroll arrow bug, and a PAE error. Release notes are included in the zip file.

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

I am currently upgrading to this version but will not be able to test until my replacement dec motor arrives. One side question - i tried to upgrade using prolific pl2303 based usb to rs232 controller on my laptop with 32 bit vista sp2 and nothing worked. I tried to set speed 115200, 9600, with and without buffers, tried several restarts without changing settings and nothing worked. Not even speed 9600 with Lo on hand controller. Tried loaders 2.6 and 2.8. Also no luck. On my desktop pc i have com port and vista x64. There speed 115200 is not working but at least 9600 is working and in a few minutes everything is fine. I checked the settings on the pc's com port and laptop's com port and they are the same. On both computers speed 115200 is not working but on the pc at least 9600 with standard port settings and Lo on hand controller is working with loaders 2.6 and 2.8. The driver for the prolific is latest - 3.3.3.114. On the other side eqmod and other programs connect and work without problems with this converter so i am lost. If anybody had success updating the synscan firmware with pl2303 based converter please tell me how.

#3 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

Neptun2 I am chatting with a friend of mine who has just updated all the handsets for his school's mounts (they have several) and he had no problems using either the serial port on a desktop PC or the prolific USB to serial adapter on his IBM laptop. He says he uses the exact same driver as you. All handsets upgraded to v3.25 without a hitch and are all working fine.

My mate says he used the v2.8 utility for updating.

One thing which was raised a few weeks ago about firmware is how there may be differences in the Skywatcher and Orion handsets because the Orions have an option to adjust the polar scope LED brightness and the Skywatcher handsets don't. Unless there is a firmware difference (and several people say there isn't) that option must be at the hardware level, maybe the controller board version if not the handset.

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

That's very strange then. The driver version is same so i suppose he is also under windows vista os because the driver version for xp is different. So it is maybe problem with my motherboard's usb controller. Maybe some chipsets are more friendly to pl2303 then other. Both my laptop and desktop use ati(amd) sb600 south bridge and maybe this is the reason for my problems. My handset is skywatcher and i don't have the option t ocontrol the polar scope led brightness.

#5 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hi neptun2. According to my friend he is using only Windows XP Pro SP3 but definitely the prolific pl2303 driver. (I made him check and confirm that part for you.)

He reckons he's been using that driver with XP Pro and his USB to serial adapter for years with no problems.

All his school mounts are Skywatcher and they do not have the polarscope LED adjustment option, like yours. Some guys here with the Orion branded version say they DO have the polarscope LED brightness setting under the setup menu, but it's definitely not included or available with the Skywatcher versions according to my mate.

#6 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Ok thanks for the information. So it is either the OS or chipset problem. At least the usb to rs232 adapter does not appear to be the problem. I can update the firmware on my desktop pc so it is not so big problem to wait a few minutes. Thanks again for the help.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics