Photo

leaving tripod outside...cover necessary? Anchor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hi All,

I would really like to leave my Atlas EQ-G outside on my deck permanently to keep my alignment and park information good. I was going to buy a telegizmos 365 cover for the mount. I am deciding whether it is worth buying the tripod cover as well. The cover would protect the tripod however it would also increase the surface area tremendously and we get some pretty darn strong winds at times...enough to move my grill :shocked:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a temporary way to anchor down my tripod? Maybe ratchet straps hooked to the deck railing or something like that? Just looking for some ideas without having to drill the deck.

Thanks!

#2 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

• Loc: Brandon, FL

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Deck? Wooden deck? This might work for you....

#3 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes, a wooden deck...that is definitely an idea...have you done this?
Also, if I run anchors from the tripod to the deck, that would make the tripod cover almost impossible because of the tie-downs sticking out huh? But if I have it tied down, it would be nice to cover it so it doesn't rust....

#4 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

What if you just used one tie down in the center of the tripod using that fancy anchor above? That way the tripod cover wraps right around it and you don't have any lines in the way.

Jared

#5 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

put a big cinderblock under the tripod and tie it to that

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hi All,

I would really like to leave my Atlas EQ-G outside on my deck permanently to keep my alignment and park information good. I was going to buy a telegizmos 365 cover for the mount. I am deciding whether it is worth buying the tripod cover as well. The cover would protect the tripod however it would also increase the surface area tremendously and we get some pretty darn strong winds at times...enough to move my grill :shocked:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a temporary way to anchor down my tripod? Maybe ratchet straps hooked to the deck railing or something like that? Just looking for some ideas without having to drill the deck.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'd cover it--if you don't want the hardware and legs to get rusty in a real hurry.

#7 KD5NRH

KD5NRH

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville TX

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

put a big cinderblock under the tripod and tie it to that

Better yet, put one of these under the center to tie down to: http://www.pitposse.com/redri1.html Drill the recess with a forstner bit, and when you remove the tripod, nothing sticks up above the deck except the metal lip. With a little trial and error, you should be able to come up with a chain-and-spring arrangement that allows you to quickly unhook it when you want to, but keeps it firmly anchored against anything less than a gale.

#8 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

The d-ring is a neat idea. You guys have definitely provided some good options. I have ordered the Telegizmo 365 cover for the mount and optics. I bought it a size bigger to make sure it covers everything with the guidescope mounted on occasion. I will see how much of the tripod this covers (with and without optics on) and go from there.
Do others that leave their equipment outside strap it down somehow?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics