8 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image

Well, this was not really at all what was intended yet it is yet another of the variation on my recent theme. I realized as I am sure many others do, that in the first few days after new moon, we really only have a short time to observe it before it sets or at least becomes distorted in image as it is low in the atmosphere.

I started to set up too late only to negotiate a view between clouds, wind at the drawing table, etc. All of June through early July in Portland can be deceivingly cool and breezy in the evenings. Another unknown climate condition that out of state tourists are unaware of.

So it became a concentration first on Mare Crisium and the rest is merely my usual collage of lunar art. Other than Mare Crisum sketched from the eyepiece, most other details were added later from photos that I referred to from the eyepiece with a hand held digital camera.

There were a couple notes to make but as usual I do those in image rather than words. As much as others have asked me to make notes on the work area of the art, if you think that would add to the overall image, I would like to hear from you. As there was an orange star at the southern cusp (that is rendered in the top of this image as you know, it is reversed in the Newtonian reflector.) I watched it in its position change fast as the moon nearly occulted it. These are the things that the general public who have never observed though a telescope will never see nor understand. It is not all about seeing only in the moment but watching the subtle changes as they occur, least know by those who have never observed through a telescope, the dynamically changing light at the terminator and how this adds tremendous dimensional interpretation for the patient observer through the eyepiece. Something that sketching enhances greatly in ones 'seeing'.

The lower large surface image was merely roughed in from imagination so it remains as quite sketchy and impressionistic. [read: unfinished]

I might have been influence just before working on this art as I had just read yesterdays NY Times article on the astronaut/artist Alan Bean before sketching >
http://www.nytimes.c...nting It&st=cse

Sketch is on black Stonehenge paper 20" X 32"
Telescope: 10.1" Coulter Dobsonain
Eyepieces: 32mm Super Plossl at 36X magnification for whole moon image; 9.7mm super plossl- 120X magnification for close-up images.
Seeing during was possibly light wind was ranging from 6/10 ~ 8/10 from 8:45 PDT ~ 10:00 PDT

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

Mark, your sketch is marvelous and beautifully crafted! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: As you can guess by my sketches, I prefer to leave the sketch free of notes and write my commentary describing the features in detail. However, there are many others here who write their notes on the sketch and to very good effect. My good friend Matt Looby does an incredible job using this approach. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this, it just seems to be a matter of preference. Lately I've been trying to learn a little about creating mouseovers to label key features in my sketches. If anyone has a good reference for making mouseovers please PM me.

Thanks for the very interesting link to the NYT's article on Alan Bean and his Art. Really remarkable man and beautiful paintings! :D

Great work Mark, keep 'em coming! :waytogo:

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Mark,

A beautiful set of observations of the Crescent Moon showing the Mare Crisium region. You have recorded the full Crescent Moon and details of Mare Crisium very nicely. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Alan Bean is a remarkable person/astronaut/artist.

Carlos

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:12 AM

Thanks Rich and Carlos for the kind words

As I may have alluded, this was really not what I intended. I feel like I let every one down. I think this one just became a practice session. As I spoke on NPR's Talk of the Nation last year at this time on June 12th 2008 as the opening caller- The discussion was about Productive Procrastination, I speak of making the 'next masterpiece' and how artists must try to out-do their previous work, but it doesn't always work that way; listen to the psychologist analyze my perfectionism, etc. >
http://www.npr.org/t...toryId=91432804

I meant to do another tonight but instead I set up a Nexstar 5i at a local restaurant called The Observatory. The owners who decorated the place with old astronomy photos of observatories and historical astronomers had never observed through a telescope. So I showed them and many patrons Saturn and the moon.

Maybe tomorrow again for the public or the art, or both?

Mark

#5 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:34 AM

Mark
It may not be what you intended but I really like this one.

As for adding notes to the image, IMHO...don’t. Your work is not just accurate sketches , its Art and a style unique to you . Your drawings include several perspectives (a collage). I think on that level, notes on the drawing would distract from the emotional impact of the image.

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

Mark,

Every sketch we make, whether it be what we consider our best effort or simply practice, increases our skill in both manipulating the media, and perhaps more importantly, our eye for picking out detail. Please don't feel like you've let anyone down with this wonderful sketch. Most artists have a much higher level of expectation for every successive sketch. However, I look back on my first attempts at lunar sketching and smile because it is so obvious to me how much I've learned about the use of Conte' crayons and how intensely I observed the feature. But that's generally something that I am not aware of as I work each sketch. In addition, the more I sketch Lady Luna, the deeper my desire to understand the processes that led to the formation of her features. This in turn motivates my research and writing which almost always results in more questions, and helps form the basis of a new lunar target list.

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

Mark,

Wow! As always I enjoy your sketches, and I have to be honest, to me they are not just sketches, but truly works of art that manifest themselves to us via you. I'm not sure if I am communicating what I am trying to say, but I truly do look forward to each sketch that you share with us.

Due to weather I have not had much time to really sketch or observe but the weather today is fantastic! Skies are clear and crisp and I am heading out tonight. I got back from San Diego on Wednesday after spending five lovely days there with my wife for our anniversary and am chomping at the bit. I'm hoping to share some sketches within the next week or so.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Mark,

Beautiful sketching, I see you got some details within the earthshine. :cool: :bow:
Your sketches are always pleasing and interesting to see.
Your format is always unique and causes one to pause and look carefully to see what you have captured. :rainbow: :waytogo:
Alan Bean's art is really something special; his paintings from the lunar surface are just awesome.

Frank :)

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

Thanks again Jim, Rich, Jay and Frank

Jim and Rich, thanks again for the encouragement for me to leave out the notes, even though I feel that they should be required. It was Erika that asked if I would ever include notes n the artwork and I still think about it every time I complete a work; it's that long story from 2006 when my first sketch appeared in Spaceweather. I saw one of Erika's solar sketches in Spaceweather right after observing the solar prominence through my h-alpha that day in October 2006. But it was her little hand scratched notes in the artwork that got me to sketch for the first time. The rest is history.

Jay, thanks, I'm glad you enjoy these as I hope they inspire others to sketch; even my lesser efforts as this was. You said you will travel to Portland soon? You'll be the first in this group that gets to see the originals in person and up close!

Frank, you always have some great artists wisdom to reflect. I think you see things in my art that no one else notices; not even me! :cool: Thanks again.

I cannot decide if I set up in a few minutes to allow the public to observe or I stay home and do another sketch ?? It is always a tough decision. What is more important? My art, or that others benefit from observing that never have yet?

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics