12 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Posted Image

I concentrated first on the craters Catharina, Cyrillus, and Theophilus with strained conditions of wind at the drawing table but the shadowed effects were spectacular so I had to persevere. Then Mare Serenitatis with it shadowed ridges. I just learned from checking my moon charts that Apollo 17 landed there in 1972 at the eastern most corner of the mare.

The whole moon image was sketched in as naked eye rather than inverted through the telescope.

Other surrounding details were roughly added. A close-up landscape was decided lastly today.

Telescope used: 10.1" Coulter f/4.5 Newtonian with 32mm plossl and 9.7mm plossl

Seeing was at first medium 6~7/10 with light wind at 10PM PDT June 27th improving to 8~ 9/10 by midnight June 28th.

Stonehenge black pastel paper 22" X 30" with various pastels and Conte hard white chalk.

Mark
www.markseibold.com

My CN Gallery

*I edited again today with another attempt to a better photograph for the pastel to remove the over-blue tone from north daylight. It would be beneficial if we could allow a slightly larger image to show finer details- As the screen never looks like the original artwork [to my eyes] -Mark

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Absolutely awesome sketch work Mark! :bow: :jump: :bow: Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina are gorgeous as is Posidonius and Chacornac with Dorsa Smirnov. The inclusion of the northern and southern cusps is so cool and really adds to the composition. Tremendous job on the crescent, lovely bluish tones in the maria. I always enjoy the imagined moonscapes. Fabulous! :waytogo:

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Rich

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I replaced the image in the original post with a better photograph of it late yesterday as the original image was a little over saturated in color and espeically blue due to that I photograph my artwork in north light but this can add extraneous blue overtones sometimes depending on the sky. I have found that a cloudy morning is best with northern exposure for accuracy of photographing artwork.

I am not sure what happened to that message I returned here last night, as it is missing from the reponses here today ??

Mark

#4 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hi Mark,

What a magnificent piece of work!
I can appreciate the effort and skill involved in this.
What a great site CN is to have people of your ability onboard.

Mike

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

Mark,

Stunning composition. All 6 of these individual drawings are beautifully done. As mentioned above by Rich your use of blue in the maria is an especially fine touch. Like your others great sketching art. :bow: :rainbow: :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

Pretty drawings and nice composition.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Mike, Frank and Roland for the kind and encouraging words.

I have done several of these on the similar theme in the past month or two. Now I don't know which one I should enter to the sketching contest by midnight tonight because I believe I have recently won and that disqualifies me for I think 3 months? I'll have to read the rules again.

I'll look forward to any advice but I know I have to make that descision and comply with the rules.

I have found that my eyes are becoming terribly strained while doing the jostling from eyepiece to the drawing surface; back and forth intensity over several hours, I cannot focus later for several days after these sketching sessions. I may have to end this method of sketching or go to bifocals or something; maybe become the blind artist-astronomer. Only my eye doctor knows?

Monet was still painting at 85 but quite blind.

Mark

"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love."
- Claude Monet

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

Mark,

A truly outstanding set of observations of the Catharina, Cyrillus, and Theophilus region of the Moon. You have captured the Quarter Moon and detailed sections perfectly. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

Thank you Carlos

M

#10 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Mark,

Fantastic sketch!! :bow:

Very realistic.

#11 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thanks again Carlos and thank you Rony,

I wanted to sketch for the past few nights but instead just observed. Last night I set up a Nexstar 5i and allowed many to observe the moon and even though Saturn was low in the western murky sky over city lights, observers could just make out the ring plane, an orange diffuse line crossing the planet.

Mark

*I put a long report into my blog at >
www.markseibold.com

#12 Michael11

Michael11

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Brilliant composition!
I really liked this one :)

#13 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Thanks Michael

Glad to hear that you like it. I get a variety of opinions and from local friends too; some say that they did [not] like the lower imaginary landscape on this one but did not say exactly why. They were no less very open minded younger artists too, who favor science fiction. :shrug: :question: :tonofbricks:

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics