5 replies to this topic

#1 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hi,Gang.
I have a (used) LXD55 with a "loose" polar scope. The rubber O ring that surrounds the polar scope inside the mount has come out, and I can't seem to get it back in place. I've had problems with the polar scope not rotating to see the correct alignment marking orientation. Any ideas to correct these 2 problems will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi,

I have an LXD75 and have only had the polar scope out once, so my memory is not to be depended on too much. I don't remember an o-ring, there are three allen set screws that hold mine and also are used to align it. Also, to test the alignment, I rotated the RA axis, not just the polar scope.

Hope this helps :shrug:

Steve

#3 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi, Steve,
Yes, I've also previously aligned the polar scope using those 3 screws, and rotating the RA to change the alignment etching, but don't most polar scopes rotate by themselves for proper alignment (this one doesn't seem to)? I'd like to get a reasonably accurate polar alignment so I can do some longer exposure piggy-back astrophotography (at least 2 minutes with a 200mm lens on my Canon XT). Any ideas and comments will be much appreciated.

#4 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

but don't most polar scopes rotate by themselves for proper alignment (this one doesn't seem to)?

You've got me there. This is definitely fiddly to align, it's a budget mount, par for the course I guess.

Steve

#5 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi, Steve,
Yes, I've also previously aligned the polar scope using those 3 screws, and rotating the RA to change the alignment etching, but don't most polar scopes rotate by themselves for proper alignment (this one doesn't seem to)? I'd like to get a reasonably accurate polar alignment so I can do some longer exposure piggy-back astrophotography (at least 2 minutes with a 200mm lens on my Canon XT). Any ideas and comments will be much appreciated.

Actually, most of the ones I've experienced are fixed and require you to turn the RA axis to line them up.

#6 Cow Jazz

Cow Jazz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the info, Charlie. I guess I had seen one mount with a polar scope that did rotate, and thought they all should (sure would be easier if they did).
I still need to figure out how to get the grommet back where it belongs, though. Tomorrow's a holiday up here (Canada Day), so maybe I'll just play with it since we're under rain most of this week.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics