• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lernerda

lernerda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey 40.0 N 74.9 W

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

My eletronic setup includes a laptop w/3 USB 2.0 ports, a Tak EM200(temma PC goto), 2 DSIs, rs232 and autoguider cables. Everything is run by the USB's. Now I KNOW you need the direct USB 2.0 ports for the DSIs (pluged directly into the computer), but here is my question.

I have a 4-port, non-powered USB 1.1 hub... Will this work OK for the Goto and autoguider simutaneously plugged into the third port (maybe a mouse also)? As I said, I know the DSIs need direct 2.0 connections (or a powered USB 2.0 hub), but am I OK with the goto and autoguider ussing a non-powered hub? (it's not like it is sending 5 Mb/sec).

Opinions?

#2 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

Didn't work here. I tried a non-powered micro-hub on the scope itself (so I could run a single USB line out to it) but it failed to work and I switched back to a powered hub at the mount. I was using a DSI Pro and an EOS camera at the scope.

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Same as Mike. Get a good powered hub and you won't have that part of your electronics to worry about.

David

#4 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

I have a astronomy camera dbk 41 and have a 25 ft run. web page This will work at 3.5 fps and sometimes 7.5, but faster in BW mode. But I tried power hubs on a run but had develope driver issues and also repeaters. The reason this does not work at 15fps is the data flow is bi directional, maybe a ccd camera might be better.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics