CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Powered USB or not?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 lernerda

lernerda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

My eletronic setup includes a laptop w/3 USB 2.0 ports, a Tak EM200(temma PC goto), 2 DSIs, rs232 and autoguider cables. Everything is run by the USB's. Now I KNOW you need the direct USB 2.0 ports for the DSIs (pluged directly into the computer), but here is my question.

I have a 4-port, non-powered USB 1.1 hub... Will this work OK for the Goto and autoguider simutaneously plugged into the third port (maybe a mouse also)? As I said, I know the DSIs need direct 2.0 connections (or a powered USB 2.0 hub), but am I OK with the goto and autoguider ussing a non-powered hub? (it's not like it is sending 5 Mb/sec).

Opinions?

#2 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

Didn't work here. I tried a non-powered micro-hub on the scope itself (so I could run a single USB line out to it) but it failed to work and I switched back to a powered hub at the mount. I was using a DSI Pro and an EOS camera at the scope.

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Same as Mike. Get a good powered hub and you won't have that part of your electronics to worry about.

David

#4 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

I have a astronomy camera dbk 41 and have a 25 ft run. web page This will work at 3.5 fps and sometimes 7.5, but faster in BW mode. But I tried power hubs on a run but had develope driver issues and also repeaters. The reason this does not work at 15fps is the data flow is bi directional, maybe a ccd camera might be better.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics