• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Agent M27

Agent M27

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa ,FL

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

So I have been tossing the idea around of swapping my scope for an SCT or just buying a mount and throwing my scope on it, with the intentions for AP. I have an Orion XT10 BTW. It weighs in at 30lbs. I was thinking of either the Atlas or Sirius EQ mounts. Now my scope will be at the upper limit of both mounts. So my question is would it be more stable using a pier instead of the included tripod? On the surface it seems that way, but it could be just the limits of the mount and no matter what I do, I need more money :foreheadslap: Thanks in advance everyone & clear skies!

Joe

#2 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Depends on the height of the tripod or pier, the length and number of legs (I know a tripod means three legs) and the size, configuration and material of the products used to produce the item. Example: some tripods are short and thick making them very stable and some piers are thin and very tall making them less stable (the reverse is also true). You need to state an example by brand and model number of one tripod and one pier and the forum would be able to give you good histories of their use.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics