Photo

CGEM mount noise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hi

I'm thinking of getting my hands on a CGEM mount and was wondering just how loud these mounts are? I have a CG5 at the moment and after about 11pm I don't use the high speed slew rates anymore because they're just too loud and I'm pretty sure my neighbors don't appreciate that ;)

So is the CGEM a big improvement quiet wise or not?

BTW, I'm already assuming that the CGEM is a serious upgrade from the CG5 in every other respect.

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

It's pretty quiet. Much more then the CG5. You do realize that CG stands for Coffee Grinder, right? :grin:

#3 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

There are several threads in this forum with the same topic going back a few months; a little surfing might give you what you're looking for.

#4 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Mariner 2

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

I just bought a CGEM about a week ago. It is much quieter than my Meade LXD-75 (unless I use the LXD-75 in "quiet slew" mode). It does make some sound while slewing, but it's not loud.

The CGEM is a sturdy mount and I've had good success in getting nicely autoguided images with a Meade 8" Schmidt-Newtonian.

Richard

#5 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

I owned a CG5 for nine days and nights. The Universe then supplied with someone who was willing to buy it from me. Only an LX75 is louder, I can't stand either one.

I like my CGEM a lot, I wish it was quieter, but it isn't. The good news is that when tracking it is very quiet indeed. Is there a slower slew rate command for the CGEM? If so, I will switch to it and be happy.

Have fun;
Steve Coe

#6 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the input :)

CG standing for coffee grinder, that makes a lot of sense :grin: Certainly how I would describe it and only mildly less annoying then the LXD-75 which I also own. But that was my first decent scope so I'm a lot more forgiving of its shortcomings for no rational reason :smirk:

#7 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Mariner 2

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

You can also use the "quiet slew" mode for the LXD-75. It will slew rather slowly, but it's MUCH less noisy than at regular slew.

#8 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

Actually my LDX-75 sees most of the action for this very reason. The quiet slew is a lot more neighbor friendly and usually gets me through the wee hours.

#9 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

I think that it is much quiter than my cg5. It is also IMO a better mount. I do a lot of AP and if that is in the cards for you down the road, I think you will be happy with the CGEM. I have had a few problems but I think I have figured them out.
Dan

#10 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hi Blixx,

What kind of problems? I've heard of a few teething problems with them.

#11 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

No one has mentioned a "quiet slew" mode to the CGEM and I can't find one in the manual, so I am going to assume that this feature does not exist.

Too bad;
Steve Coe

#12 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hickeydp,
I have a problem with the power cord that came with the mount. I was getting no responce 17 error codes. Come to find out the plug on the cord is very loose when you put it in the mount. I tried spreading the prong inside the plug on the mount but that didn't help. So now I use the cord from my cg5. Tha has seemed to fix the problem.
Steve,
I don't think the CGEM has a quite mode for slewing. However, I don't think it's too noisy. It is much quiter than my cg5 when slewing.
Dan

#13 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

CGem has 9 slewing speeds. Anything below about 6 is pretty quiet.

#14 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

No one has mentioned a "quiet slew" mode to the CGEM and I can't find one in the manual, so I am going to assume that this feature does not exist.

That's right. Celestron did not implement the quiet mode. I believe it is an Autostar's feature only. You could get close to a quiet mode with the CGEM when you run it off a battery.

#15 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Once I tightened the gears in my LXD75 it was much quieter than my daughters CG5.

#16 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

Alph, the only way I run my CGEM is off a battery, I have never run it on an AC transformer.

Blixx, saying that a CGEM is quieter than a CG5 or LXD 75 is like saying that a women is better looking than Rosanne Barr...not much of a standard.

Mich Al, I am not asking about the slew speed as selected for manual slew, this is about the slew rate automatically chosen by the electronics when you hit the "Enter" button to go to a chosen object.

Well, now that I know that there is no "slow slew" command on the CGEM, I will just keep it greased and get the gears adjusted and live with it.

Thanks all;
Steve Coe

#17 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

The CGEM makes less noise than my old LX200 but it is still make a lot of noise, especially when compared to really quiet mounts like the HEQ5 (sirius) or HEQ6 (atlas). At our dark site it is the noisiest mount there unless someone shows up with an LX200. People that come over to peep through my telescope always make a comment about how much noise it makes especially when it is hauling something big like the 11".

I should add that the CGEM is not so noisey that it wakes my neighbors. I use it in the backyard late at night with no real problems. The LX200 on the other hand actually did wake the neighbors unless I set its goto speed much slower.

#18 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for that Lane. Have been considering an EQ6 also and noise is a serious consideration for me as I do most of my observing in my back yard too. As goto is not that essential to me (I'm happy star hopping) I would probably go for the quieter mount. From reviews I have read on the EQ6 (Skywatcher's pro version) it seems to be an excellent mount in terms of tracking and error correction.

...and €500 cheaper then the CGEM too!!

#19 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

The only thing I don't like about the HEQ6/5 is the hand controller and its software, which just isn't as good as the Celestron. But if you use a computer and EQMOD, as many others do, to control the HEQ6 then that resolves that issue. The HEQ6 certainly has a more proven track record for tracking and error correction too.

#20 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

I must admit that this aspect of the mount doesn't worry me too much. In an effort to learn how to find my way around the sky I've become used to star hopping and I rarely use the goto features of both my Celestron and my Meade.

Is this the only place it is lacking, its goto abilities or are there other major omissions?

#21 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

If it wasn't for the hand controller I would have probably bought the HEQ6 myself. The only other reason I bought the CGEM was that I felt the C11 would be more stable on the CGEM because it is a little bigger and heavier than the HEQ6, but I really cannot say whether that is true or not.

The only other improvements to the CGEM were the new motors (which are also louder), the counterweight bar's increased size, and the CGE style saddle plate.

The old motors worked fine, the old counterweight bar was fine but could also be replaced easily, and I replaced the saddle plate with a dual plate from ADM anyway. So no real earth shattering differences. But you will probably want to replace the saddle plate on your HEQ6 as I did on my CGEM. That ADM dual plate is really sweet.

#22 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

By the way - the CGEM is only noisey is because it is faster. If you change the slewing speed on the CGEM to match the HEQ6 then they are pretty close when comparing the level of noise produced. Unfortunately the CGEM always performs the GOTO function at maximum speed and there is no setting to change it. You can only adjust the Slew speed.

#23 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

Was figuring I would change out the saddle plate for something that would take a dual vixen/losmandy rail at some stage. There are an Italian company called Geoptik that do one specifically for the EQ6.

Would like the CGEM still but it's another 500. Not sure I want to spend that much more. In terms of the CGEM slewing noise, at its loudest is it as bad as the CG5 or are we talking a lot quieter then that?

#24 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

BTW Lane, congrats on breaking the 1000 post barrier :D

#25 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

Woo Hoo - A thousand post - Now I just need to find out what pooh-bah means.

I can't say much about the CG5 because no one that comes to our dark site owns one. But from what I read on cloudy nights I am guessing the CG5 is almost as noisey as the LX200 and the LX200 can wake the dead.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics