• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

I'll be able to confirm that tomorrow, I'm picking up a second hand LX200 10". It's this that I might un-fork and rig some sort of mounting onto a GEM depending on its weight. Thinking some 10 rings and a vixen rail (although a wider losmandy might be a better idea).

#27 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

I had the LX200 8" for many years and you can set its GOTO/SLEW speed to a lower value and make it much quieter. You can also move it with the hand controller and not use the GOTO function at all. So instead of deforking it, you could just use that LX200 10" as-is. At maximum speed it is very fast, so even slowed down it is still faster than most scopes and it can be fairly quiet if you slow it down enough.

#28 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Lane, I'll play with tomorrow hopefully and maybe it'll just need the wedge.

#29 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

I've had a CG5(ASGT) and a CGE, IMHO 'quieting' isn't a big part of 'C's design criteria. I finally set up next to a CGEM a few nights ago here at the house but clouds shut down the observing so didn't get that long an impression (sure is slick lookin' compared to both the others I mention), noise not 'bad' but only had a C-8 SCt on it... I think weight also a factor in how noisey these things are?

#30 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

You are correct about that, the C11 on the CGEM makes more noise than the C8 on the CGEM. I guess if you could get balance just perfect that would not be true, but it is hard to balance everything perfectly when the eyepieces range from a 1 oz Abbe Ortho to a 2 lb Nagler.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics