New additions...

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

I recently entered the hobby of meteorite collecting and thought I was finished with this set:

Eclectic six pack

Never say never, I have become fascinated with both the different patterns in the irons and the interesting stories, so I have added a few smaller specimens. My main computer has a hard drive failure so pictures may take a while, possibly this weekend, but I have added the following:

Hexahedrite -- Guadalupe Y Calvo 28 grams, nice Neumann lines.

Medium octahedrite -- Elbogen 126 grams -- love the Bewitched Burgrave story and the age (~1400 ad). This piece had the Widmanstatten pattern destroyed on one fingerlike projection when the locals tried to melt the main mass in a forge after pulling it out of the well. It was also the meteorite in which Widmanstatten discovered the pattern that bears his name.

Fine octahedrite -- Gibeon slice 244 g

Ataxite -- Santa Clara 28 g

Peekskill -- 10 g

Wiluna 55g -- metal flakes protrude through crust, like the story (cars wouldn't start, probably the beer)

Dar Al Gani 489 1g Martian shergottite

Dar Al Gani lunar .083g

Ensisheim 22g, full slice of one of the two pieces owned by Haag.

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I can't wait to see the photos. :)

You have some museum-class specimens that any collector would be proud of. :waytogo:

Best regards,

MikeG

#3 snowdragonusa

snowdragonusa

Apollo

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

:roflmao:

I thought I was going overboard as a new collector with all the pieces and money I have been spending! hehe I do not feel bad at all now. :)

What a great collection! Grats on a collection of remarkable specimens!

#4 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Thanks, all. I will try to get pics done tomorrow or Sat. I mistyped in my post above and need to update it:

The Elbogen is 126 g not 26 g, and the Peekskill is 10 g.

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I have Ensisheim, Gibeon and Peekskill. :)

But mine are - 1mg, 9.3 grams, and 172mg. :lol:

#6 robinsondd

robinsondd

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

and thought I was finished with this set

:funny:

Gus, A very nice beginning collection :jawdrop: and great new additions.

Thanks for sharing and keep the pics coming...

#7 robinsondd

robinsondd

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have Ensisheim, Gibeon and Peekskill. :)

But mine are - 1mg, 9.3 grams, and 172mg. :lol:

It's all relative man :hmmmm:

#8 zagami

zagami

Viking 1

• Loc: The Big Sky

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

Wow! Great scores.

I have seen some of your new pieces before in other collections. Looks like you really struck when the iron meteorite was hot.

Not sure if you know it or not, but the Guadalupe Y Calvo iron had a natural depression in the center of its relatively flat shape that made it look kind of like a dog bowl. So, in fact, it was used as a dog bowl. Here is a pic I took many years ago of a cross-section slice showing the profile of the bowl.

Again, nice work collecting.

Attached Files

#9 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

Wow! Great scores.

I have seen some of your new pieces before in other collections. Looks like you really struck when the iron meteorite was hot.

Not sure if you know it or not, but the Guadalupe Y Calvo iron had a natural depression in the center of its relatively flat shape that made it look kind of like a dog bowl. So, in fact, it was used as a dog bowl. Here is a pic I took many years ago of a cross-section slice showing the profile of the bowl.

Again, nice work collecting.

Thanks. I consider myself very fortunate to have received an offer of a lifetime from a good friend.

I was told the dog bowl info, the person who recognized it for what it was traded a pickup truck for it. When I post my photos I'll add each story as I know it.

Some of these are in very old Riker mounts like my Zagami. I shot that through the mount but I know I can get a better shot if I can open up the mounts, something I've not done before. Do I just pull the pins out? Anything to be careful I don't do?

#10 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi Gus,

Old Rikers have a tendency to stick closed. After you pull out the pins, the black pebblegrain covering can stick to itself and the boxes can be difficult to open. Try carefully prying the lid from the base at the seam - gently. I've had stubborn Rikers pop open suddenly and hurl their contents onto the floor or table. When in doubt - place the Riker with the glass lid down onto a flat surface and lift the base out from it. The specimen shouldn't pop free and escape.

Best regards,

MikeG

#11 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thanks. I'll proceed with care.

#12 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

Here is a Wiluna, 55.1 g, olivine bronzite chondrite H-5, Wiluna Central Australia, fall September 2, 1967. People watching an outdoor movie in Liluna, Australia, witnessed the fireball. The local story said when they tried to start their cars to go find the fall their cars wouldn't start. Probably the beer! You can see the metal flakes sticking through the crust in places.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Here is a Gibeon 244 g. I love the pattern.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 snowdragonusa

snowdragonusa

Apollo

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Nice Gibeon! I have really come to enjoy the irons because of that pattern... one of these days I'll learn how to pronounce "widmanstatten"

#15 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Guadalupe Y Calvo 28 g Hexahedrite with Neumann lines. This is a piece from the original main mass that was used as a dog's bowl in Mexico. A Texan horse trader realized what it was and traded a new pickup truck for it.

Posted Image

Close up

Posted Image

#16 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

Santa Clara 28 g ataxite from Durango, Mexico.

Posted Image

#17 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Peekskill 10 g.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Dar Al Gani 489 1 g Martian shergottite.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

Ensisheim 22 g. This is a full slice of one of the two of Bob Haag's specimens before he was elected as a guardian of the meteorite.

The story, as I recall it (going by my memory of a conversation, so please correct me where needed) is that Maximillian wanted to marry Anne of Brittany (12 years old) because two provinces came with her. King Louie of France wanted the same territory and forced Anne to marry him despite a symbolic marriage in which Maximillian sent a proxy to stand in for him. The result was the two went into battle. This meteorite fell one day's march in front of Max. They rode ahead to see it and his advisors called it a sign from God that he would be victorious in battle. He was, and since the meteorite was considered a sign from God it was mounted in a church choir loft. Many years later it was moved across the street to a gasthouse and had been guarded ever since. Did I forget or misremember anything?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Elbogen 126 g.

This medium octahedrite fell near the castle of the Burgrave (mayor/taxman) at Elbogen in Bohemia. The Burgrave died the day the meteorite fell, and that plus its horsehead shape (the Burgrave's family crest was a horsehead) caused the locals to think the meteorite represented him and they attributed mystical powers to it. The Bewitched Burgrave as it was called was mounted in the castle and it was said that if it was removed it would fly back to its resting place in the castle.

The invading French army, to help subjugate the locals, threw the Bewitched Burgrave into the deepest well on the castle grounds (22 klafters, ~ 130 feet, deep). it did not fly back and was forgotten for years. When the well dried up the meteorite was taken to a local forge to be melted. When it would not melt all of the old stories came back. This piece shows some distortion of the Widmanstatten pattern at the little point where the heat from the forge altered the pattern but was unable to affect the main mass. This was the meteorite Widmanstatten first noted the pattern that eventually bore his name.

This observed fall is listed as 1400 ad, almost 100 years earlier than Ensisheim. That, plus the interesting story attached to it, makes it more mystifying to me that there isn't more information or references to Elbogen out there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Dar Al Gani 262, 83 mg Lunar anorthositic breccia.

Posted Image

#22 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

Brenham 110 g. This piece is candy bar shaped and a bit too thick for back-illumination to be effective.

Attached Files

#23 The bear

The bear

Apollo

• Loc: rushville, indiana

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

very nice addition to your collection you should be proud i know i would be.
doc

#24 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

That's a very nice slab of Brenham! If it's a candy bar, then the olivines must be caramel or nougat. ;)

I see a tiny bit of oxidation forming in some spots. You can hit those with a pencil eraser and gently rub the rust away. If you are gentle, you can even do it on etched irons. After you "erase" the rust off, polish it with a rouge-cloth. Repeat as needed. :)

Best regards and keep those photos coming! :bow:

MikeG

PS - did you go back and edit in photos to this thread? There are some photos that I didn't notice last time I looked, like the lunar specimen at the top of this page.

#25 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

I rub the small specimens with a silicone impregnated gun cloth, use mineral oil on the big Canyon Diablo. I'll try the pencil eraser trick. Where would I obtain a rouge cloth?

The only change I made was to replace the lunar image with one that is in focus. :)

Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics