• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

My neighbor told me today they are going to build a Hampton Inn 2 Blocks away from my house.YAY!!!!!!!!!!!Bring on the flood lights. Who makes a good light pollution filter? :bawling:

#2 Tom Machtemes

Tom Machtemes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Evergreen Park, Ill.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

Shannon,

Could you go to the zoning board and have them to make them to put in full cut-off lights :question:, :question:, :question:.

Like your Cat.

I have a street light at the edge of my driveway and it took me two years to get them to put a shield up.

:thanx:,

Tom

#3 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Maybe!!!!!!Yeah she gets a little crazy runs around then starts panting, so I got a shot of her.

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

Shannon

Get your neighbors together now and show them some deep sky objects through a large reflector telescope. Find other astronomers interested in your neighborhood. Explain about the problem of light pollution. Read the International Dark Skies Association web site.

Do not take a hostile approach; instead be benevolent and kind when you approach the authorities. Shooting one light out will not solve the problem not to mention it may get you labeled as criminal.

When I built my home 20 years ago at the edge of Portland Oregon twenty miles east of the city, I noticed the proverbial orange sodium vapor streetlights. My wife thought I was nuts when I called the local lighting authorities and asked that the street-lights be shielded because some of those lights were shining into our homes windows. The local lighting authorities know that there are health issues with "Light Trespass". It can inhibit you from healthy deep sleep. This is widely known for decades by doctors and scientists and now the lighting authorities must comply by law to shield lights upon your immediate request as it is your health inflicted. The local astronomy club in Portland, one of the largest in the nation could not figure out how quickly I got the lights shielded by the lighting authorities, within a few days. Other club members were asked to pay the lighting company to perform the shielding in their neighborhoods or some received no response. I never paid a penny. Perhaps I should go to work for the DSA?

[Get a copy and read Jerry Mander's - Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television c1978 - *do not be deceived by the copyright year.] You will be thoroughly shocked at what you read. Mander performed five years of research with doctors and patients, average people watching TV and studies of light pollution [TV is a source of artificial light pollution.] Read the chapter on The Ingestion of Artificial Light; even daylight coming through a window is distorted and plants will grow mutated through window light rather that straight daylight outside, as the daylight passing through window glass is ever so slightly mutated. Imagine that it has subtle effects on us and our health too. Fascinating what you will learn in this book. I used to revere Edison's inventions but electric light? I wonder now.

We as astronomers are obligated to teach the world what they may be missing in the cosmos as a whole. The cosmic light is much more than simple artificial light.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Mark

#5 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Mark. I'm going to see what I can do. The bad thing about where I live. Its not a, how do I say it, some what of a poedunk little town. The good ol boy type town, they might not care about what one person says. I'm sure Florida has some kind of dark sky association I can call on. We don't even have an astronomy club. I'm going to check the zoning laws too.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

You have some good advice, but chances are good that you can make sure that the lights are shielded with the newer shields that most counties and cities have adopted as a requirement for their building codes. If you approach the development office in a positive way, tell them why you are concerned and you want to make sure that any lighting follows the latest code for proper shields, they will listen. There may also be public discussions on that development; they will tell you. You can also write the developer a nice letter and send a copy to the development department that will be inspecting....and nicely ask that the consideration of lighting will 1) preserve the night sky 2) save them money in the long run and 3) get them public cuddos (compliments) if they go even farther and turn off unneeded lighting when it is not a real requirement late at night.

Second overall suggestion, get a video astro camera when you can. It punches through most light pollution.

Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics