Photo

Latest Tranche of AP900's are Now Coming up!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

Just got my "Daleen" email on the AP900 wait list... decision by 7/15, shipments starting in August for the next several months thereafter... $8450 (plus the required accessories)...

:lol:

clear enough skies

#2 lineman_16735

lineman_16735

Tak-o-holic

• -----

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Yep, I somehow got on the list again even though I purchased one of the last ones off the line last year. I of course turned it down. I really can't use 2 of these awesome mounts.

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

Glad to hear they are coming up. I may want to trade my Mach1 up to a 900. Have to try my TOA-150 on it first but if it does not feel right I will upgrade capacity.

#4 afrancis

afrancis

Vendor - MoonLite

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

Yep, I somehow got on the list again even though I purchased one of the last ones off the line last year. I of course turned it down. I really can't use 2 of these awesome mounts.

You could have bought it and mounted it on that second pier in your obs... :whistle:

#5 Panza

Panza

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

Got my e-mail too. Had to say yes this time :)

G-11 has to go now.

#6 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Yeah... I said "no thanks"... course just got the MI250 in April when I had come up on the Mach1GTO list!

Seems every time I come up, I end up buying something ELSE...

Wonder what that means for when my AP1200 notification comes up??? :john:

I know what it means (if it isn't for while that is...) It means I then hafta sell the MI250 and get the 1200 - Duh!

funny how life and timing all conspire, huh...

Clear enough skies

#7 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Wish they would stop making these hobby mounts and get to my 3600 production :)

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Y'all might consider NOT selling your G11 and or MI-250 if you can afford to take delivery of the AP900 and hang on to the others.

First, you need to make sure you can get through the shake-down period with no significant downtime. I bought a 900QMD and it spent a month or two at AP before I was actually able to use it, and I was glad I still had my G11.

Second, if you can afford the outlay, you may find that the G11 is the mount you prefer for throwing in the car while you leave the AP900 at the observatory.

For my part, I find the G11 on a Berlebach tripod a very fast setup compared to my AP900QMD/ATSPier so I decided to keep it for my FS128, which is a match made in heaven. This is my scope for faster setups and when the moon is rising or it might rain and I'll need to break down, etc.

My general thought, which I know is something of a novelty, is that I've never really regretted selling an OTA but I HAVE regretted parting with a good mount. I sold my Vixen Super Polaris thinking I'd never want it but that turned out to be a mistake and I ended up buying another.

So, I recommend holding on to your G11s and MI250s for six months past the arrival date of your AP900s. You may find that you actually have some uses for these mounts, both of which are rugged and proven performers.

The new Saddle plates from AP have "offset holes" which allow you to mount the saddle plate forward instead of in the classic T pattern. If you are using SCTs this is definitely the way to go (forward offset) since the weight of the SCT is mostly forward and the butt is only a few inches from the axis of rotation.

The Cassidy saddle plate is very nice. "All it costs is money."

regards
Greg N

#9 Panza

Panza

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

That sounds like good advice which I might follow whether I like it or not, as it might be hard to get rid of a G-11 here in Norway, and the shipping cost to the US is making it a not so great deal for me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics