6 replies to this topic

#1 nobbygon

nobbygon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi,
I just recently bought a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro and i just have a few basic questions that I want to ask you guys.

1. When I turn my mount on, 2 seconds after I flick the swich, a high pitch electrical sound can be heard. Is this normal? Its not really loud but it can be heard quite clearly in my living room with the tv going. Im using a 12V DC power source at 10AMPS.

2. When I have my mount set up and Im using the hand controler to slew to objects in the sky, should the RA and DEC locking levers be locked tight or unlocked and loose. I accidently had them locked one time but it didn't seem to make a difference when slewing.

Cheers for the help, Angus

#2 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

1. Normal - don't sweat it.

2. Locked tight.

#3 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

• Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

yes, the high "musical" pitch is normal, change of frequency while the mount moves

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

The locking levers "connect" the motors and encoders to the mount. If you want the motors to move the mount and stay "sky aligned", they should be locked. If you want to move the mount by hand, they need to be loose and you'll lose sky alignment. Some higher end mounts employ adjustable tensions clutches so that you can move the scope by hand overriding the motors. In some of these the enconders are on the mount and not the motors so sky alignment is not lost.

#5 tommyhawk13

tommyhawk13

Viking 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, Fl

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

I've been slewing my Orion Atlas by hand with the locking levers hand tight for a while now, and haven't had any issues.
I do not have the go-to hand controller, does this make a difference?

#6 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

I've been slewing my Orion Atlas by hand with the locking levers hand tight for a while now, and haven't had any issues.
I do not have the go-to hand controller, does this make a difference?

Well, yes and no. It probably wouldn't hurt *in the short term* to have light pressure on the clutches if your mount won't hold still where you point it, but it is probably better in that case to solve the balance issue you have that is causing the mount to move while unlocked. On the EQ-6, the "clutch pads" that the clutch levers use to press against the worm wheels are made of brass, and so are the worm wheels. While moving them while lightly tightened might not hurt things in the short term I would expect them to wear over the long term and this could potentially be a problem. Getting replacement parts like worm wheels and clutch pads may not be easy.

In either case the clutch levers need to be locked tight while tracking in order to hold the scope in place in DEC and maintain accurate tracking in RA. If you don't have Go-To then you will almost certainly need to unlock the clutches to move the telescope from object to object. If you *do* have Go-To then the calibration of the Go-To computer will be ruined if you move the scope by hand unless you own one of the very few mounts that are set up to allow this. Most mounts (including the EQ-6 Pro) are not set up for this.

Hope this helps!

#7 tommyhawk13

tommyhawk13

Viking 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, Fl

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

THanks Charlie, I'll retrain myself to loosen up a bit!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics