Goto head replaement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

My mount head (CGEM) in back at Celestron & I need something to hold my OTA in the air. Ideally that something would bolt onto my tripod and OTA and replace the missing mount head. It dosen't need to 'Goto' or even have any intellegence, just be mechanically there and movable. Does such a thing exist ? What's it called ?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

My mount head (CGEM) in back at Celestron & I need something to hold my OTA in the air. Ideally that something would bolt onto my tripod and OTA and replace the missing mount head. It dosen't need to 'Goto' or even have any intellegence, just be mechanically there and movable. Does such a thing exist ? What's it called ?

Impossible to tell you without knowing the size of your scope. If a C11 or smaller, a CG5, or a non-go-to CG5, or an EQ4 will work and all are relatively inexpensive. Could you find one without a tripod? Maybe. Only repeated scanning of Astromart will tell for sure. :lol:

#3 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the response. I think CGEMs are all c11 & smaller. Mine is a 9.25. I've been scanning Astromart & found nothing so far. I'm pretty new & I'm not too sure what to look for so I thought I'd ask. I'm off to re-look.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

So you're looking for a basic equatorial head that will fit on a CGEM tripod?

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well, maybe. That sounds about right now that you say it. If I wasn't new I might know the lanquage. That's why I described the function I needed and asked what it was called. It ain't easy being green. Fitting a CGEM tripod would be nice and I'd hoped would save me some money but could also make the whole search harder. I take it that the CGEM dove tail mount is a standard then ? Maybe I should have posted this in the begginers forum.

#6 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

I take it that the CGEM dove tail mount is a standard then ?

Yes, CGEM uses a Celestron CGE-style or Losmandy D-plate dovetail bar.

I don't know of another equatorial head that would be compatible with a CGEM tripod other than another CGEM head.

Maybe look for a used Atlas/EQ-6 or Sirius/HEQPro with losmandy dovetail saddle adapter as alternative mount for your 9.25" SCT while waiting for repair. Good luck!

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

I take it that the CGEM dove tail mount is a standard then ?

Yes, CGEM uses a Celestron CGE-style or Losmandy D-plate dovetail bar.

I don't know of another equatorial head that would be compatible with a CGEM tripod other than another CGEM head.

The tripod is identical to the one shipped with the CG5 and EQ6 (Atlas).

#8 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

"Mount" is what you call the thingy that goes between the tripod or pier and OTA and permits the OTA to be pointed in different directions. You sent your mount (CGEM) back to Celestron and you are looking for another mount to use until you get your CGEM back. This "interim" mount needs to be able to support the weight of your OTA and mechanically mate to your tripod or pier and your OTA. The only off-the-shelf mount meeting these requirements that I can think of is another CGEM. You could go with an Atlas, Sirius, or even a CG5 but you'd need to adapt their vixen style saddles to the D style dovetail. I could be wrong.

#9 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

Such a thing is called the Losmandy G11 with Stepper motors. You buy it, use it, sell it when your repair comes back.

Or you buy it, use it, and sell the CGEM when it comes back.

You can pick up a used G11 with steppers for $1700. You can convert it to Gemini at some later point, or you can buy it with Gemini used or new.

On the used market, the G11 will sell for what you paid for it used, so this amounts to an almost-free rental.

Greg N

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Such a thing is called the Losmandy G11 with Stepper motors. You buy it, use it, sell it when your repair comes back.

Or you buy it, use it, and sell the CGEM when it comes back.

You can pick up a used G11 with steppers for $1700. You can convert it to Gemini at some later point, or you can buy it with Gemini used or new.

On the used market, the G11 will sell for what you paid for it used, so this amounts to an almost-free rental.

Greg N

Greg thanks for that valued point of view. It's duly registered. I looked at higher qualiy equipment before I bought CGEM and decided to not jump in quite so hard the first time. I hope that doesn't prove to be a bad choice. The CGEM was already more than I thought I'd spend the first time in. You can bet that if anything like this happens again in the next few years I will trade up. Right after I let everone on the planet know about it. I don't think Celestron is in a position where it can afford much bad publicity. I've been involved in the electronics industry for decades. This type of failure shouldn't happen very often on an relatively new product.
I have found a replacement. It's a used un-motorized mount (universal astronomics) on a solid tripod that should be just fine for a few weeks and might make a nice grab-and-go mount for the future. If not I'll easily be able to get my money back out of it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics