1st outing with a CG5 ASGT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

CG5 came in today (used off Amart) that I plan to replace my LXD75 with. I am giving it to someone that works for me. The LXD75 works and does a fair job but having never played with a CG5 and reading good things about them made me decide to give one a whirl.

Its used, you can tell its used but not abused. Setup went easy, no polar scope so I just eyeballed it thru the hole :)

I read thru the manual online ONCE and went to work about dusk dark setting it up. By the time polaris could be seen I was waiting on it. Went thru the intuitive initial setup routine and was pleasantly surprised at how intuitive the menus and controls were after about 15 min of browsing the menus. Until now my goto experience has been with gemini and autostar (both older fancy version on a LXD650 and the newer one on a year old LXD75).

Dont have a single complaint with Gemini, Autostar on the other hand.......Well lets just say autostar doenst do it for me.

I have played with the CG5 now for about 2 hrs this evening and imo for a lower cost mount it impressed me, with the ease of setup, rigidity and the goto's are spot on. Thumbs up to the CG5. I even stuck a C11 on it for few min to see how it reacted. For visual its fine although having the microtouch 2 speed focuser was a big help in that dept.

It should handle upto my 140 Vixen with no problems......Assuming it doesnt blow up tomorrow I highly recommend it for a good grab and go with goto......

Greg

#2 letimotif

letimotif

No Complaints

• Loc: Actually, right here.

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

I agree. Had one for a while, and it did everything I wanted.

A genuine value in go to mounts, IMHO.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

Great bang for the buck. I had a G11 for 10+ years and downsized to a CG5 when downsizing OTAs. It works very well with either of my two ~15 lb scopes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics