Photo

Does anyone use a spray to protect their sketches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 cphk96

cphk96

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hello all,

I made a few sketches of Mizar and a couple of Jupiter last night. To protect the sketches, I used a spray called Fixatif. It is used to protect against smudges. I noticed that the pages are curled.

I was wondering if anyone used something to protect their sketches?

Thank you
Chris

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I use a spray fixative I get from a local arts and craft supply store to protect my drawings, such as they are from smearing. I use charcoal pencils for the stars and they smudge easily without it. The fixative does make the drawing curl up though, but I flatten them back out after the fixative dries. Putting a couple of heavy books on top flattens they out fairly well.

Taras

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hi Chris, Welcome to CN and the Sketching Forum! :D

Like Taras, I use a fixative spray, Krylon Workable Fixatif 1306. It works well on the thicker black papers I use for my lunar sketches. I do tape my paper to a sketch board however, and spray the sketch while it is still taped down. The sketches don't curl, but I'm not sure you'd get the same result with the thinner white computer printing paper or paper that is lighter than the 400 series black Artagain Strathmore which I use pretty frequently.

#4 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hello Chris, DO "NOT" USE CLEAR VARNISH SPRAY. Welcome to the CN forum.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hello Chris

Welcome to the CN Astro Sketching forum.

Well I guess I am old school and a purist. I have read many times that the fixative sprays can dull the colors of pastels so I resist not using them and instead very carefully keep them stored upright in large 24" X 35" portfolio carrying folders. I have had a few matted and framed but never use the fixative spray.

Some serious pastel artists do not use sprays but instead apply the same fixative by a manually mouth blown aparatus.
Talk about old world. I just heard employees at a local art store still recommending this, even with all the modern spray canisters available today.

You might read up on this in various pastel/charcoal sketching instruction books.

Good luck,

Mark

#6 Michael11

Michael11

Ranger 4

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

To be honest, after I scan the sketches and store them in digital form - I don't care too much about the paper originals. I just store them in a hard box.

#7 cphk96

cphk96

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

Thank you for all the responses.
I use the same exact stuff that kraterkid mentioned, was just worried about the curling.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics