Photo

HEQ5 setup and upgrade questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:53 AM

I recently purchased a used HEQ5 SynTrek mount that is 3 years old. When I do a polar alignment i noticed that the altitude T-Bolt is max out which makes it hard to align at times as well as the other T-Bolt now gets in the way of the weights. Is there any further adjustments or tips to compensate for this?

My second question on this mount is the SynScan upgrade. Apparently there are different models that can be upgraded. How do I know which one I have and can it be upgraded with just changing the hand controller or would it need the motors and boards as well? Mine does have the auto-guider port and the polar finder is illuminated.

Thanks,

#2 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

I have an HEQ5 upgraded to the Pro version.

The altitude T bolt issue will depend on what your latitude is and whats mounted and therefore where the weight is on the DEC bar I guess. at 51' lat. and with an 8" newt mounted I didnt have a problem. But after an upgrade to the scope I needed an extension bar on the DEC shaft to get balance. For various reasons I decided to dump the extension bar and get an extra weight unfortunately the change in weights and their position meant the weights on the DEC bar would foul the T bolt (I had replaced my T bolts anyway with better bolts from astro-developments).

I just ended up having astro developments run me off a special altitude bolt which is shorter than the normal ones. I could have machined the end off the old one but my access to machinery had been temporarily limited and I got fed up waiting. The ends of the bolts as you will know have a long tip thats rounded off to prevent damage to the tongue of the altitude assembly.

The Synscan handset is flash upgradeable after version 3 is my understanding. If you go to the menu which gives you the version number is should say something like H/C ver 3.12 - anything above version 3 is upgradeable. Older versions will need a new handset as far as I know.

#3 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

The two T bolts are different lengths. Switch them and you should be fine.

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

If you have autogider port this should be heq5 syntrek.If so you need to replace only the hand controller to make it synscan.

#5 Quasar

Quasar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. Feel a little silly and relieved at the same time. Sure enough I had the T-Bolts reversed. Thanks rdegoutier!
Good news on the controller. Now I just need to find one cheap enough.

#6 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

The two T bolts are different lengths. Switch them and you should be fine.

Thats weird - mine were both identical. I didnt like them anyway so swapped them out after someone I know had their mount messed up by the bolts bending.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics