Jupiter sketch June 28th

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

I made this sketch of Jupiter under very good seeing conditions the last night of the Green Bank Star Quest. It shows the "boring" side, i.e., the side without the Great Red Spot, but it is anything but boring in the North Equatorial Belt these days. :)

The sketch was done at the eyepiece with 2B and HB pencils. The template is courtesy of Sol Robbins.

Attached Files

#2 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

Lovely sketch! nice details rendered, makes me look forward to observing Jupiter soon.

Mike

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Michael,

Great sketch of Jupiter. You did catch some interesting turbulence and nice detail. Thank you for sharing your efforts. :waytogo: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

Michael,

A very finely detailed and captivating view of Jupiter! :bow: :jump: :bow: It's nice to see the planet above 30 degrees altitude. Fantastic rendering of the tonal variations in the bands. I like the very subtle difference you caught in the brightness in the Northern and Southern regions. Excellent! :D

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Great sketch of the king you show the turbulence in the neb very well, hopefully we can ge a break from the constant clouds and i can get a look at jup.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

Thank you all. I was very fortunate to have good seeing conditions which seem to come so infrequently here in the mountains.

Clear skies!

#7 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

great sketch Michael! the appearance of the NEB is exactly like i saw it :)

you render the division in the SEB also very well, unfortunately you didn't have the chance to also add the grs in your sketch! do you sometimes use filters on jupiter? i find the light blue and green one helpfull on occasions.

#8 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Michael,

What a wonderful display of fine details! :jump:

That must have been a very exciting observation.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

Michael,

An excellent observation of Jupiter showing much detail. You have recorded much detail over the North Equatorial Belt (NEB) and South Equatorial Belt (SEB), namely bright rifts and dark condensations. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#10 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

Excellent observation and sketch, Michael.

#11 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

Michael, good sketch and makes me want to head for the gas giant, but our weather has been as bad as yours.

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

Thanks a lot, folks! I really enjoyed making that observation and I hope that feeling came out in my sketch. :)

you render the division in the SEB also very well, unfortunately you didn't have the chance to also add the grs in your sketch! do you sometimes use filters on jupiter? i find the light blue and green one helpfull on occasions.

Kris, I didn't include the Great Red Spot (GRS) in this sketch because it was on the other side of the planet--right now the GRS is at about System II longitude 130°. The Oval BA (also known as Red, Jr.) was on the side I observed, but I did not detect it--it's pretty faint. Perhaps I might have noticed it if I had used filters (I usually do use them) but I was enjoying the colors and detail of the unfiltered view so much that I didn't get them out.

Roland, we had a few nice days, didn't we? Too bad it didn't last a few more. I made another observation of Jupiter Tuesday morning, July 7th, but did not sketch--I got to feeling poorly (I'm fine now). Sketching can take loads of concentration and energy (kind of like teaching elementary school). I have to be at the top of my game to attempt either. ;)

#13 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hey Michael....we are not that far apart and the weather will get better. Holler if interested in selecting a few tentative evenings, wait to see what the weather does, and perhaps we can head for common area and sketch sometime during the next couple months.

#14 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

Super , I just have to get me a Jupiter sketch this winter

Dee

#15 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:55 AM

Michael

Very nice sketch of Jupiter and especially the NEB :bow: :bow: :bow: as I glimpsed it briefly the other night for the first time this season while observing and sketching the moon. I appreciate your mention of the NEB details and well rendered in your sketch as I thought one of Jupiters moons was casting a transit shadow; I believe now that it was just so much new contrasting cloud festooned activity in the NEB.

Thanks for posting this info,

Mark

#16 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi Mike,
Very nice report... I agree there seems to be a lot happening in the NEB..
Thanks for sharing the sketch.

Matt

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

Thanks a lot, everyone. :)

Roland, we'll get together one of these days when we can jump on a good weather forecast. We aren't that far apart, but there are all these mountains in between...

Matt, good to hear from you--hope you're getting some scope time.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics