• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cloudmagnet

cloudmagnet

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Georgetown, Texas

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

I'd like to resurrect my homebrew refractor- 3 1/4" f/12 Jeager's objective, 1 1/4" focuser, aluminum tube. Weighs about 6 pounds. The original homebrew mount is long-gone. I'd like suggestions for an appropriate EQ mount to bbbbbuy! (Yes, I said BUY!!!) Preferably one with tracking capabilities, maybe even GoTo! This would be used strickly for observation, no imaging.

Also, when I removed the lenscap, (after at lest 20 years) I noticed that the objective is rather hazy around the edges, and there are also a number of "flecks" on the lens. Hopefully these can be cleaned away. If so how is the best way to do this?

Any help with either of these matters would be appreciated.

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

You didn't give a budget, but from your description a good used Meade LXD75 would do nicely. I use one with a Megrez 110 on it for outreach stuff and it works well.

David

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Yeah I'd second David's suggestion, and in the same class would be a used CG5, preferably one of the newer ones with Goto and the 2" steel legs ... you should be able to get one in the $400-500 range.

You might get away with a lighter mount (EQ4) but that long tube should really be on something more stable. Along those lines don't skimp on the connection between the scope and the mount, a good thick Vixen/CG5 dovetail bar with split rings would be the way to go.

#4 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

The CG4 is a nice medium duty mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics