Photo

July 6th AR 1024 less busy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

AR 1024 July 6th 09:15 UT PST 40 8mm TVP eyepiece. Pastels and Staedtler Ergosoft Pencils Wilson Scale 3

Some very fine detail visible , the AR is not as active as the 4th of July. The flares seem less busy. I just got this so far as the clouds rolled in again.

The AR fibrils stood out from time to time , the plage was much less bright than July 4th. One of the sunspots appeared larger than previous and the penumbra was visible without going up and down the bandwidth of the scope.

I draw in the spots alone first then tune the scope to pick out the other details.

I decided to use pencil over pastel to try to achieve as exact a sketch as I could. Hope to get another if it clears maybe later on today with a bit of luck.

Dee

Fibrille - A feature in the low chromosphere of the Sun; also spelt fibril. Fibrilles are fine dark lines arranged in a near-spiral pattern around sunspots as seen in h alpha light. They are particularly prominent around large, mature spots, from which they extend outwards for about 10 000 km, forming a superpenumbra. The whole pattern lasts as long as the active region containing the sunspots, but individual fibrilles live for only 20 min or so. Fibrilles are thought to delineate the magnetic field in the chromosphere around sunspots.

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

Dee

Beautiful sketch :bow: :bow: :bow: I love all of the colors that you have rendered here to show the actual observed effects in fine detail.

You have inspired me to take a look today through my h-alpha, now that clouds have returned again to Portland. I have not seen fibrilles associated with a sunspot group in some time. Amazing that this occurred as "real fireworks" for the Fourth of July. :cool:

Mark

#3 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

Beautiful work, Dee.

Amazing features that you can see with the PST.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

Dee,

Excellent sketch, beautifully colorful. I detect this was time well spent. :bow: :flower:

Frank :)

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Dee, your superb sketch of AR 1024 is so exciting and intense! :flower: :jump: :flower: The richness of your pallet along with the energy you bring to rendering all the fine details of this sunspot group is just brill! Thanks for the very interesting definition and explanation of a fibrille. And thank you for another beautiful view of this rapidly evolving AR. :waytogo:

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

Dee,

An excellent and very interesting observation of AR 1024. The fibrilles appear as fine fingers extending from AR 1024. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#7 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Excellent observation and sketch, Dee. :)

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

Dee,

Nice work capturing the complexity of an active region as seen in the narrow (but dynamic) hydrogen alpha bandwidth. Humbling to think your drawing depicts a couple of hundred thousand square miles of solar activity.

#9 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for all the positive comments . I just cannot imagine what it would be like in solar maximum , the detail would be mind blowing.

Dee

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics