Photo

AR1024 Sketch July 6th * and July 7th*

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Here's my take on the new sunspot group. It has changed dramatically since Roel's sketch yesterday, but that's the nature of the Sun. :cool:

I did the sketch at the eyepiece with a 6B, 2B, and HB pencil and a blending stump.

Attached Files

#2 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Very interesting , I saw the large spot as one big spot .
I was not able to separate it into two spots in my PST .
They must be relatively close together as solar distance goes.

Very cool , or should I say, a very hot sketch :-)

Dee

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thanks, Dee. The leading spot looked like one spot in my PST, too. In white light I saw a division pop in and out--it's known as a light bridge and sometimes indicates instability in the sunspot. I suspected another lightbridge in the bigger trailing spot but could never confirm it, so I left it out.

The appearance of active regions is much different in white light than in Hydrogen alpha. In WL, everything is quite stark and hard edged. Things are mostly black and white, with maybe a little grey for the penumbra. I saw a hard edged line around most of the penumbra of the leading spot which I tried to render in my sketch. It may have just been a contrast effect, but I saw it and included it in the drawing.

On the other hand, the appearance of active regions in Ha is much more subtle, with lots of swirls and color variations. You rendered this very well in the Ha drawings you posted the past couple of days.

Btw, this AR is pretty big--I reckoned its size at ~60,000 miles ( 96,600 km) fore and aft.

#4 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Michael,

Great observation in WL. :bow:

I was surprised by the fact that you observe in WL while you have a PST at hand. :question:

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Great sketch of the suddenly active sun, i have a solar filter now for my C6R maybe i will have a look at the sun when the clouds finally move out.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Tommy and Rony. :) Tommy, definitely put your scope/filter on the group before it goes around the corner.

Michael,

Great observation in WL. :bow:

I was surprised by the fact that you observe in WL while you have a PST at hand. :question:

Three reasons: 1) this is the first sunspot group in quite a while that actually looks like something in WL, 2) I've been observing side by side with WL and the PST but Halpha sketches are much harder to do, especially since this puppy is changing so fast, and 3) my time is limited--I'm supposed to be working on projects and farm work, so I have to steal time for solar observing. :crazy: I'm behind on responding to everyone's kind comments about the workshop, too and I'd like to look at some of the work posted recently as soon as I can, but we've had three clear days here--most unusual.

I stole the time to make this new sketch of AR1024 showing changes 26 hours after the first sketch. I went with the SCT this time to try and get a little more detail--the seeing was fair. I used the same media as the first sketch (and used white recycled sketch paper for both).

If anyone wants to see fine images and sketches of this new active region, drop in over at the Solar forum. :cool:

Attached Files

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Michael,

These solar white light sketches are very nice and full of changing detail. It was interesting to see the sun spotless for a while but it looks more familiar spotted. Like Tommy5 I'm waiting for the clouds to move on for a look.
Nice work. :waytogo: :bow:

Frank :)

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Michael,

Excellent observations of the sunspot group AR 1024. You have recorded the penumbra surrounding the sunspot very nicely. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#9 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

The appearance of active regions is much different in white light than in Hydrogen alpha. In WL, everything is quite stark and hard edged. Things are mostly black and white, with maybe a little grey for the penumbra. ...

On the other hand, the appearance of active regions in Ha is much more subtle, with lots of swirls and color variations.

Precisely and very well put, Michael. I'd be lost without the use of my white light filter or using the projection method to observe activity in white light. The finer details of the actual sunspots are always more visible to me in white light than they are in h-alpha.

Along with what Michael said above is that we're looking at a different "layer" with the use of h-alpha so the use of both filters gives us a much better interpretation of what is going on with the sun rather than just one view.

We could add a CaK filter for an extra factor or use a spectrohelioscope to even delve deeper into solar physics. All exciting stuff.

Michael, it's always a pleasure to read your informative solar reports and see your excellent observation sketches. :bow: Superb!

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:30 AM

Frank, Carlos, Erika, thank you all very much. Our local star has put on quite a show for solar observers the past week or so. I hoped to get a couple more WL sketches in as this AR continued to change from day to day, but the clouds came back.

Erika, thanks for providing additional insight into observing the Sun--an endlessly fascinating celestial target. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics