Takahashi EM10/EM11 Counterweight Diameters

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

Anyone have info on the diameters of the various counterweights for the Takahashi EM10/EM11. Available weights include a 3 lb., 4.6 lb., 7.7 lb., 10.1 lb., and a 14.3 lb. The 7.7 lb. weight is standard and it has a diameter of about 87 millimeters. I need another weight and would ideally like to get one with the same diameter.

Thanks for any help!

Barry Simon

#2 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:19 AM

Hi Barry -

I don't have the sizes off hand as I am not near the mounts at the moment. I can tell you that I have used LXD75 and ASGT counterweights without any issues and commonly mix and match these with the Tak CWs. This is with my EM10 and EM200 mounts.

Maybe you were just asking only about those listed CWs so if that is the case, I can get back to you.

S

#3 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

Maybe you were just asking only about those listed CWs so if that is the case, I can get back to you.

S

Skyler,

If you could get me more info, that would be great. I know the 7.7 lb. weight is about 86/87 mm in diameter, and the two smaller ones may be about 10 mm less, but I am not sure. I know with the Tak P2Z mount that I had that the weights were different diameters. I would really like to get a second (smaller) weight with the same diameter as the primary weight. Two 5 lb. stainless steel weights would also be nice.

Barry Simon

#4 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

Barry:

I keep forgetting to measure my counterweights for you, but I have 3 different sizes, all Tak. I think the smallest is something like a 2 or 3 pound weight. I have two of the bigger weights, probably the 7.7 pounders, and one that's probably 5 pounds?

It's weird, but my EM-10 came used with three weights, all different sizes, so I bought the second 7.7 pounder so they'd all be the same.

I'll try to remember to measure them this evening after work.

-Tim.

#5 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

Hi Barry -

Real sorry I was out of town today when I was going to do some measurements. I promise I will measure what I have and get you some numbers tomorrow. I got in real late and I think I better hit the hay before I drop.

Will be in touch.

S

#6 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi Barry -

The stock EM10 weight is .715" (7.7lbs)
The Stock EM200 weight is .718" (10lbs)
The stock LXD75 weight is .826" (10lbs)
"" CG5 weight Not measured (10lbs)

The EM200 has a indent in the CW so I took the smallest
diameter reading.

So that is what I have for you. If you need the CG5, I can
later get that measurement to you as well.

Maybe an SXD/SXW CW could work as well? I don't have those
measurements.

Hope that is a start.

S

#7 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hi Barry -

The stock EM10 weight is .715" (7.7lbs)
The Stock EM200 weight is .718" (10lbs)
The stock LXD75 weight is .826" (10lbs)
"" CG5 weight Not measured (10lbs)

The EM200 has a indent in the CW so I took the smallest
diameter reading.

So that is what I have for you. If you need the CG5, I can
later get that measurement to you as well.

Maybe an SXD/SXW CW could work as well? I don't have those
measurements.

BTW, these were measured with a digital caliper.

Hope that is a start.

S

#8 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the information. What I was asking for was the diameter of the different weights available for the EM10. I know the 7.7 lb weight is about 87 mm diameter and I believe the next two smaller ones are about 75 mm diameter, but I wanted that confirmed.

What are the .715", .718" and .826" numbers you included in your post?

Barry Simon

#9 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hi Barry -

So I guess I was confused about what information you needed. It was not the hole diameter but actually the overall diameter? Maybe not enough sleep on my part but let me know what dimension of the CW you are seeking and I can try again.

Thanks,
S

#10 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

How much total weight do you need? If you have the 7.7 lb and you need to double it just buy the 14.3 lb (and use one weiht). The total diameter does not make any difference. To get a 14.3 lb with the diameter the size of a 3 lb it might be 10 inches in height and that would degrade your adjustment potential of movement on the counter weight shaft. You use it in the dark and it does not have to be perfect looking. The price of a Takahashi represents much engineering and I am sure they design the best counter weight's height and diameter when they make them. That is why almost all weigths increase in diameter the heaver they are.

#11 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

I was interested in outside diameter. I believe, but cannot confirm that the 10.1 lb and 7.7 lb weight are the same outside diameter, and the 3 lb. and 4.6 lb. weight are both the same diameter jut smaller. I agree that functionally it does not matter but all other things being equal, I would prefer weights of the same diameter. I had a Takahashi P2Z mount with different diameter weights and while it worked well, it looked funky. Hey, blame me for being superficial, but most of the time this stuff is set up in my office and my preference is weights of the same diameter.

It is all kind of a mute point now, I have communicated with Robin Casady and I have ordered two 5 lb. stainless steel weights that will serve me well and be sufficient for the slightly heavier payload that I will use most of the time. In the event that 10 lbs. is not enough, I will still have and can use the 7.7 lb. weight too. All in all I will have a lot of flexibility ranging from 5 lbs. at the top of the declination shaft to as much as 17.7 lbs. at the bottom of the shaft.

Barry Simon

#12 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

You should be happy with the Robin Casady weights. I have a complete set of Losmandy and Robin Casady weights for a G-11 and his win, hands down.

Go to: http://www.robincasa...WeightCalc.html and it will tell you exactly what you need and where it should be placed. It is a great help. Like it says, It is better to put more weight at the top of the shaft and less weight at the bottom.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics