CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fine tuning Tak EM200

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 lernerda

lernerda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

I recently aquired a tak EM200 from a member of my local group.

Two things I noticed:

1) On the altitude lockdown, it doesn't matter how much I tighten the lever, the mount will still move up and down (as seen in the polar scope) when I turn the altitude adjustment key. Is this normal?

2) On azimuth, sometimes when doing a precision polar alignment, (using WCS alignment software), the star shifts to the west as I begin move in that direction, then as I continue to turn azimuth knob, the image begins to go back in the correct direction. Also I noticed there are little indentations on the azimuth peg on the tripod (I am assuming these are from tighting the azimuth screws). Should I loosen the azimuth peg, and rotate it 90 deg or should I leave wellenough alone? (although the "southern" post hole on the tripod is completly round it is doesn't look like there is a way to set the peg perfectly "square" with the northern leg of the tripod.

last thing. Once I get azimuth precisly polar aligned, should tighten both azimnuth knobs against the post, or leave a litte gap and just tighten the mounting bolt (underneath tripod)?

#2 revans

revans

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

I've used an Em-200 for a couple of years now. I think your mount is acting normally. I would leave well enough alone. I don't know anything about the precision software you are using. I am just a lunar/planetary person and the basic Tak alignment procedure has always been enough for me.

Rick

#3 Dennis_Oz

Dennis_Oz

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

I think that the lock down mechanism is more of a clutch than a hard lock system, so like you, I can also adjust the altitude despite the lock down being fully applied.

Cheers

Dennis

#4 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Once you get the az aligned I would tighten both bolts down. I actually tighten the main (underneath) mounting bolt first now because I find everything shifts if I don't, I'm not having any issues with that. As Dennis said the alt knob is a clutch. Most of the fine adjustments can be done with the lockdowns and knobs all tightened.

#5 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

I never tightened anything but the clutches on my 200 or 400.
Work fine for 30 minute exposures for me.

Can't help you with WCS since I use PAM, but not all the time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics