Non-Gemini G-11 Question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

I recently purchased a new non-gemini G-11. On initial set-up, when I rotated the dec. axis with the clutch completely loose, it was "sticky". The R.A. axis spun freely with the clutch loose. I installed the counterweights and then set my new C-14 OTA on it. The dec. axis was still "sticky" and when I rotated it with the C-14 OTA on top of the mount, I could hear what sounded like a grinding noise near the top of the mount in the cradle area. So, I took it outside to star test the OTA, and while trying to center a star in the field of view, it would shoot across the field when I tried moving the dec. axis. to center it due to the "stickiness". Once again, this is with the clutch completely disengaged. I have since sent it back for a replacement because I believe something is binding in the top of the dec. axis, and if I continue to use it as is I will burnout the dec. motor.

So my question is, is this normal in a G-11? Has anyone else had this problem?

The vendor is saying that this is normal and they can't detect anything unusual.

#2 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

HI,

That is absolutely NOT normal. Tell the vendor to keep the mount and give you back the money and buy from somewhere else where you get a good mount.

If a vendor is so incapable of detecting a problem maybe he should sell vegetables or something like this. Maybe he can detect by smell what is rotten and what not ...

The DEC axis should rotate as free as the RA axis when the clutches are loose.

regards Rainer

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Definately not normal......vendors options should be repair, replace, refund......nothing else.

#4 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the input guys. That was where I was headed, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't normal. I've never owned a G-11 but I have heard great things about them.

#5 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

HI,

That is absolutely NOT normal. Tell the vendor to keep the mount and give you back the money and buy from somewhere else where you get a good mount.

If a vendor is so incapable of detecting a problem maybe he should sell vegetables or something like this. Maybe he can detect by smell what is rotten and what not ...

regards Rainer

It should never have even gotten to the vendor in that condition.

Phil

#6 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

HI,

regards Rainer

It should never have even gotten to the vendor in that condition.

Phil

Ah, Scott Losmandy is now the guilty one ... :jump:

Then the vendor should have not tried just to get rid of it and send it back to Losmandy ...

That is not a serious vendor for me and I would already have disclosed the name of the vendor ...

Beware of such vendors ...

#7 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Mistakes are made and QC isnt always perfect.....IMO for the $$ losmandy is as good as it gets..... I would definately not let the vendor out of this one...... Local vendor or online?

Thanks for the input guys. That was where I was headed, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't normal. I've never owned a G-11 but I have heard great things about them.

#8 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Then the vendor should have not tried just to get rid of it and send it back to Losmandy ...

That is not a serious vendor for me and I would already have disclosed the name of the vendor ...

No but someone in the QA dept obviously messed up. Or is that something that's not done before shipping to a vendor?

#9 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

No but someone in the QA dept obviously messed up. Or is that something that's not done before shipping to a vendor?

As a vendor I should know Scott Losmandy QC and just not trust him and so we can finally nail Scott Losmandy as the guilty one ... :bow:

On the other side if I would be a vendor and I am selling such mounts I would test every one before it leaves my house ... :confused:

#10 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

As a vendor I should know Scott Losmandy QC and just not trust him and so we can finally nail Scott Losmandy as the guilty one ... :bow:

On the other side if I would be a vendor and I am selling such mounts I would test every one before it leaves my house ... :confused:

The Vendor should have also tested the mount and it should never have been sent to the customer, but shipped back. It should never have been shipped and been caught at the source, we are not talking high volume product. Unless you think it's the vendor not the manufacturer who should perform all QA?

#11 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

The Vendor should have also tested the mount and it should never have been sent to the customer, but shipped back. It should never have been shipped and been caught at the source, we are not talking high volume product. Unless you think it's the vendor not the manufacturer who should perform all QA?

You just answered your own question.

Should the customer perform QA ?

#12 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

Actually GShaffer it's an online vendor. I don't really want to disclose who. Generally I've been pleased doing business with them. It's like I said though I didn't think this was normal, but before I got too hot about it I wanted to check with folks who have G-11s. I'll find out today what they are going to do. But I appreciate everyone's input.

#13 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Probably the wisest course - at this juncture.

After all, it is pure speculation that it is:

a) Mfg QA lack, or
B) Vendor QA (incoming) lack, or
c) Vendor QA (outgoing) lack, or
d) damage during shipping between a and b, or b and c, or c and end customer...

Wise to NOT name names, with insufficient information AND prior to knowing if vendor will behave honorably (I bet they do)...

clear enough skies

#14 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Wasnt asking who.....particularly since he hasnt refused to make it right as yet.....Just curious how many hoops you are going to go thru before its resolved.

Greg

Actually GShaffer it's an online vendor. I don't really want to disclose who. Generally I've been pleased doing business with them. It's like I said though I didn't think this was normal, but before I got too hot about it I wanted to check with folks who have G-11s. I'll find out today what they are going to do. But I appreciate everyone's input.

#15 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

You just answered your own question.

Should the customer perform QA ?

Nope not the customer it should never have made it out the door of the Mfg company. As it did the vendor should have shipped it back. It's a shame the vendor has to act as the Mfg's QA dept though, I hope they get well compensated by the Mfg for that service.

#16 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Yesterday they sent me an email saying they couldn't duplicate my problems. They said they had disassembled it, deburred some holes (with a drill), and had lapped the clutch pad. They then reassembled it and it worked as smooth as "butter", could they send it back to me? I called and said I appreciated their efforts but would you please take a "new" mount head out of the box, set it on a table, make sure both the RA and Dec axes rotated freely and send it to me. This morning I noticed that they have sent me a package UPS. I hope it's a brand new G-11 that works properly.

The sad part is that this has all occurred after I originally ordered a CGE mount, that when I put it together, the only electronic part that worked was the red power led.

#17 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

I think that was a good idea, a new one is better, though they will now have to sell the other. But that is not really your concern as you bought a new unit.
Blueman

#18 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

So thats two you have shipped back.....I sure hope they are footing the bill on the shipping both ways.....I have to wonder about the "cant duplicate your problem" if that is the case why were they wasting their time deburring and lapping? While it may not be the case I would say there is some smoke being blown somewhere in that.....I would say asking for a new one was the right choice.....though I would watch for smoke regarding that too lol

Yesterday they sent me an email saying they couldn't duplicate my problems. They said they had disassembled it, deburred some holes (with a drill), and had lapped the clutch pad. They then reassembled it and it worked as smooth as "butter", could they send it back to me? I called and said I appreciated their efforts but would you please take a "new" mount head out of the box, set it on a table, make sure both the RA and Dec axes rotated freely and send it to me. This morning I noticed that they have sent me a package UPS. I hope it's a brand new G-11 that works properly.

The sad part is that this has all occurred after I originally ordered a CGE mount, that when I put it together, the only electronic part that worked was the red power led.

#19 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

Failure to de-burr is a known qc/qa issue with Losmandy mounts. Not all of them. But certainly some of them.

regards
Greg N

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics