Photo

mount adjustment - how much weight is too much?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

I plan on doing a drift alignment tonight because my previous polar alignment routines got me some field rotation.
I polar align using the EQMOD alignment routine with nothing on the mount. To do the CCD drift alignment method though, I need to have everything on. So I will have counterweights, 8" LX200R, ST80 guidescope, Canon XSi and flexible dew shield. Now all of a sudden I will be adjusting the altitude and azimuth bolts with a LOT more weight. Is this going to be a problem? I don't want strip any bolts. If this is too much weight, how is one supposed to drift align? I realize I don't need the guidescope on but the majority of the weight will be the main scope and counterweights....

Thanks!!

#2 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

I always like to start high, knowing I will lower it as I go. However once you get close you are not moving it that much anyways that I would worry about the weight, unless your mount will shift when you loosen the axis bolts.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

If you're worried about it, use your free hand to lift and support some of the weight when turning the latitude (alt) adjustment screw.

#4 tommyhawk13

tommyhawk13

Viking 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, Fl

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

I do it all the time with my Atlas, SN-8, Orion 80mm f/11.4 guidescope, but I use the 5mm illuminated reticle before I throw the camera on.

It only seems tight when I adjust the Azimuth.
Have you centered your polar scope? I am usually very close with the polar scope, and sometimes I overcompensate after a 10 minute drift. Food for thought: tiny adjustments.

#5 Dwight J

Dwight J

Viking 1

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

I also support the tube etc if I have to raise it up. I did bend one of the original adjustment bolts and had to replace it - the replacement bolt was made of much harder material and has not bent when moving up an even heavier load.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics