•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

mount adjustment - how much weight is too much?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

I plan on doing a drift alignment tonight because my previous polar alignment routines got me some field rotation.
I polar align using the EQMOD alignment routine with nothing on the mount. To do the CCD drift alignment method though, I need to have everything on. So I will have counterweights, 8" LX200R, ST80 guidescope, Canon XSi and flexible dew shield. Now all of a sudden I will be adjusting the altitude and azimuth bolts with a LOT more weight. Is this going to be a problem? I don't want strip any bolts. If this is too much weight, how is one supposed to drift align? I realize I don't need the guidescope on but the majority of the weight will be the main scope and counterweights....

Thanks!!

#2 DeanS

DeanS

Soyuz

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

I always like to start high, knowing I will lower it as I go. However once you get close you are not moving it that much anyways that I would worry about the weight, unless your mount will shift when you loosen the axis bolts.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

If you're worried about it, use your free hand to lift and support some of the weight when turning the latitude (alt) adjustment screw.

#4 tommyhawk13

tommyhawk13

Viking 1

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

I do it all the time with my Atlas, SN-8, Orion 80mm f/11.4 guidescope, but I use the 5mm illuminated reticle before I throw the camera on.

It only seems tight when I adjust the Azimuth.
Have you centered your polar scope? I am usually very close with the polar scope, and sometimes I overcompensate after a 10 minute drift. Food for thought: tiny adjustments.

#5 Dwight J

Dwight J

Vanguard

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

I also support the tube etc if I have to raise it up. I did bend one of the original adjustment bolts and had to replace it - the replacement bolt was made of much harder material and has not bent when moving up an even heavier load.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics