Vixen sp mounts advice needed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

• Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

I have been looking to buy motors/hand control for my old vixen sp eq mount with no joy so the question is can anyone advise me/point me in the right direction for a retro fit system maybe lxd 55/75

#2 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

Roboscope Yahoo group covers this type of conversion. Lots of info there.
Brian

#3 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

Tom:

I put an iOptron Gotonova kit on one of my super polaris mounts. I had some issues with it initially that had nothing to do with the gotonova, related to my power supply here.

But once I got them sorted out, the system works fabulously. Gotonova Super Polaris

-Tim.

Attached Files

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'd like to know how Tim53 got the Dec motor mounted. If you're using Vixen steppers the mounting requires a special bracket which is damned hard to find, though who knows, maybe the new Vixen U.S. company can do it.

Generally speaking your Vixen SP will have a drive in the RA axis only unless you have that adapter.

Getting drive motors is not that hard, you can use the Great Polaris motors and hand controller. However, the GP hand controller won't work on the old SP motors. And the old SP hand controller own't work on the newer GP motors.

Anyhow the GP stuff is pricey, very reliable (if you take care not to drop the controller), and occasionally found used. The main reason you don't see a lot of advertising for this stuff anymore is because everyone went to go-to.

regards
Greg N

#5 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Greg:

I had the bracket from my other SP mount, which had one of the original skysensors on it. But if one doesn't have the bracket, or one of the later SP mounts with the bracket cast into the Dec assembly, It doesn't look to me like it would be difficult to fabricate one out of something like aluminum bar stock.

-Tim.

#6 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the reply's guy's anybody got pictures of the said bracket ?

#7 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Tom:

On my thread about the conversion, there are all kinds of pictures of the two common types of Super Polaris mount - the one with the cast-on bracket, and mine with the bolt on bracket.

The bracket is a lot more complex than it needs to be. I really believe that someone could fabricate one out of flat aluminum bar stock. At some point, I'll need to do this myself in order to put the skysensor motors back on my old mount. But for the summer, I think I have my hands full with other telescope projects! :grin:

-Tim.

#8 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for that Tim and everyone else who replyed just one more question is the ra and dec motor the same only for the diffrence in the bracket in other words can 2 dec motors be used if a mod is done ??

#9 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

The motors should be the same for all the conversions out there.

The Gotonova controller circuitry and housing are different for the RA and Dec, though, and this is probably true of the other conversions as well.

I think the Vixen skysensors have all the controller circuitry in the hand controller, though, so their motors in their housings would be interchangeable (this is certainly true of the 5-pin motors with the original skysensor, others can tell you if it's true of the SS 2000 or the various Starbooks). You'd just need to make sure you plug the right cable into the right motor.

-Tim

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

others can tell you if it's true of the SS 2000

Yes, the RA and DEC motors used with the SS2K are identical.

#11 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

The other big question to answer is whether or not your cords and their receptacles are 5 pin or 8 pin. The older SP mounts (I am guessing like 1988 or 89 and older) were 5 pin, the newer ones are 8 pin. The GP mounts which came later are also 8 pin. 8 pin replacement parts are far easier to find new or used than the older 5 pin system.

Barry Simon

#12 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

Alan Buckman of AWR does a serious kit;
http://www.awrtech.co.uk/ih/ih_eq5.htm
very precise if your worms etc are ok.
or you can go the lxd way depends how accurate you need it to be. I had an SP with a set of old 9V Orion motors, worked reasonably well with up to 2min unguided.

#13 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:50 AM

Hi John i only want it to track as i am visual only

#14 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

I just did a quick polar alignment of the SP/Gotonova this morning as the sky was brightening. The air was rock steady, and I wanted to see Jupiter through the NP101is.

A nice feature about the Gotonova is the "polaris position" display, which shows you the "clock position" of Polaris in a polar finder reticle so you can quickly set the scope up and get to the alignment stars. It even has it as you'd see it in an inverting polar scope.

I was up and running in about 2 minutes, and Jupiter was simply amazing!

...and it never moved, while I spent the next hour observing with a 5x powermate and 15mm Swan eyepiece.

-Tim.

#15 John J

John J

Viking 1

• Loc: South East SD.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:36 AM

I have an Apogee clone of the Vixen SP mount. I had a 144 tooth RA gear. The Orion dual axis controller fit right on it. The only modification was cutting some clearance in the RA motor cover which was made of plastic.

Posted Image

#16 Tom yates

Tom yates

Explorer 1

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Some good news guy's i think i have found a supply of mount motors and hand controllers in the uk they are clones of the MT1 motors £150 for motors and handset.
MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE NO MODS NEEDED

#17 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

We bought some of those for our club mount and the controller is having "issues" after two years. YMMV. Greg N

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics