10ft frameless ply dome going strong

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Spherical shapes are immensely strong even when lightweight ;)

Formerly housing my 17.5" Newt - this 10ft frameless ply dome is in its 35th year and still going strong with negligible maintenance. The 1/8" marine ply gores are stitched together where they butt [no frame or overlap] at 4" interval with a twist of copper wire and clad externally with 0.2mm ali sheet [Roneo print plates] epoxied in place like tiles. More here. Hope it's of interest :rainbow:

Attached Files

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

The up-and-over shutter is sheet ali - here's a cross-section drawing :rainbow:

Attached Files

#3 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Maurice, that is so cool - and probably reasonably light weight. I can't help but imagine your dome's near seamless interior serving double-duty as a planetarium projection surface.

#4 Keith Howlett

Keith Howlett

Apollo

• Loc: Northumberland, UK

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hi Maurice,

That is of huge interest. I have a roughly 25 year old fiberglass dome that is continually being patched up and modified. I'm particularly interested in your roll-over shutter. (My up and over shutter currently has a tarpaulin lashed over the top to keep the rain out.)

I hope to spend some time over the school holidays fixing up or replacing my dome shutter and shutter tracks. Any tips or experience you could share would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Keith

#5 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

How did you re-engineer your dome shutter?

Hi Maurice,

That is of huge interest. I have a roughly 25 year old fiberglass dome that is continually being patched up and modified. I'm particularly interested in your roll-over shutter. (My up and over shutter currently has a tarpaulin lashed over the top to keep the rain out.)

I hope to spend some time over the school holidays fixing up or replacing my dome shutter and shutter tracks. Any tips or experience you could share would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Keith

#6 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Maurice, (Nytecam)

That is very much interesting. Very similar to a "stitch and glue" kayak. Suppose one could fibreglass the joints and finish the rest with boat epoxy like West System. I might just do a scale mock-up to get an idea of how to get it together. I'm planing an observatory next year, a DIY dome appeals to me.

BTW, the link does not work.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics