Photo

Meade LXD75 - fix or upgrade?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Harvey

Glenn Harvey

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:07 PM

My LXD-75 has a dead dec drive and I can't tell if it is the motor, cables or connectors, or circuit boards. I am using it with a six inch Meade refractor - AR6. Many posts say this is at or beyond the limit for this mount. I'm thinking of upgrading to a heavier mount.

What would be a good match for the AR6?

Would I miss the Meade softweare, particularly Drizzle, for imaging? The Meade suite seems to integarte mount and camera functions togehter well. Do other goto mounts provide equal features?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

My LXD-75 has a dead dec drive and I can't tell if it is the motor, cables or connectors, or circuit boards. I am using it with a six inch Meade refractor - AR6. Many posts say this is at or beyond the limit for this mount. I'm thinking of upgrading to a heavier mount.

What would be a good match for the AR6?

Would I miss the Meade softweare, particularly Drizzle, for imaging? The Meade suite seems to integarte mount and camera functions togehter well. Do other goto mounts provide equal features?

First of all, if you LIKE the mount, why not try to fix it? I'm guessing the folks on the Yahoogroup LXD75 might be able to help.

Replace? Get an Atlas. No, you won't be able to use the elements of the Autostar Suite program that connect to the scope, but you will still be able to take pictures with the software. Remember, Autostar Suite is really several programs in one package, and other software--like EQMOD, Nebulosity, and Cartes du Ciel--will get the job done with the Atlas and really do it _better_.

#3 Scott2526

Scott2526

Messenger

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

I had the same issue with my LDX55, but with the RA Motor. I bought it this way from an owner of an AR-6. I asked him if he balanced his scope before use. His comment was 'what is balancing?'. I searched around and found a RA motor & housing for $62 with shipping. I installed it, adjusted it and now it works great.

It may be worth a few dollars to see if it can be fixed.

And..... always remember to balance your telescope before each viewing.... ...... :jump:

Scott

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics