• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Konnichiwa!

Does this "head only" offering come with a Vixen saddle?

http://telescopes.ne...hi/item/TLM7601

...as shown here.

http://www.optcorp.c...id=439-277-8046

:question:

#2 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

I have no idea but the one I get came with a custom saddle where someone drilled a Vixen part out so it would fit the mount. I wondered that too back when I was looking at getting one of these mounts.

#3 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

Jim,
I bought one back in February from OPT and it does not come with the Vixen saddle - it's just the head only. I put a Losmandy/Vixen combo saddle on it that I bought from ADM. Great mount, though.

John

#4 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

I've been using Tak Teeguls for years and, in IMO, these are one of the finest alt-az mounts available with slo-mo contols. Specs, OTH, are a bit lacking.

These are generally available as the mount only. They have a base that is tapped for 3/8-16 bolt and the diameter of the mount base will fit inside a Vixen tripod hub (Orion)or on top of a tripod such as a TV Gibraltar or many other tripods that can accommodate a 3/8" bolt. The head of the mount is tapped for two 8mm holes on 35mm centers. Vixen makes a vixen-style saddle that fits the mount. Losmandy and Casady also make saddles (3") that fit the Teegul with the same 35mm c-c.

Takahashi also makes a Vixen style saddle that replaces the part of the mount head with the 8mm tapped holes--problem is that if you get this and use a long vixen-style dovetail, the scope/dovetail may contact the mount when raised to zenith. IMO this is a design issue that Tak has not yet addressed. (EDIT-- I experienced this problem and returned the part).

More questions? I'll try.... :lol:

#5 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Phil, John! :bow:

I have a ScopeStuff Vixen saddle that should be compatible if I decide to order one. :cool:

#6 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Do these mounts have clutches (ie- can they be used without the slow motion controls) and if so are they friction clutches or simply on/off?

What is the realitic weight capacity (ie- 3 second dampening at x150 mags)

Thanks

#7 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Yes, you can use the mount without the slow motion controls. About weight: I use mine with a 105mm f/6 refractor that weighs 9lbs (not counting rings, mounting plate, etc.). The mount is very solid with this load--damps quickly.

Jim

#8 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

The Teegul moves very smoothly when panning without using the slo-mo controls. When the clutches are adjusted properly and the scope is reasonalby balanced, startup has no/minimal stiction and there is no backlash when stopping. Slo-mo controls are excellent IMO and with a gentle touch they contibute virtually no vibration when tracking at higher powers.

Weight capacity and damping is partially dependent upon the tripod. Using the Teegul on a lightweight tripod such as a Bogen 475 for GnG, 8-10 pounds would be my recommendation. On my TV Gibraltar Tripod, I find that 12-14 pounds is fine. Using my rebuilt Gibraltar tripod with solid one piece walnut/oak legs or my Stellarvue Stablelock tripod, I've gone up to about 18-20 pounds with reasonably quick damping. All my OTAs are relatively short which contributes to much less vibration than you'll have with a very long OTA. SCTs (C5 and C6)and MCTs (M500 and M603) also work very well on the Teegul. Haven't tried a C8 but I'm sure it would work nicely especially considering the short tube.

#9 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

I'll second everything Phil said about this mount. It's very smooth and a joy to use. I originally had mine on a TV Gibraltar but was getting too much vibration - mine wasn't reinforced like Phil's. I now have it on a Disc Mounts tall hickory tripod and it's as solid as the other Gibraltar - the rock, that is. I've had a TV102 on it, and provided it's balanced carefully, it does a good job. Much better, though, with something a bit shorter in length.

John

#10 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

I will third what Phil said. I once had a TSA-102 that I would use with a pair of Mark V binos and had no issues at all whatsoever. Very solid mount provided that you use a very solid tripod. I currently use a Tak FS-60C with the Tak saddle plate without any issue.

Attached Files

#11 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

• Loc: Blue Ridge, GA, USA

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

I have used both a Celestron C8 and a TeleVue NP-127 refractor on my Teegul mount - both topped out at around 20lbs fully loaded (i.e. with optical finder, laser finder, diagonal, eyepiece). Damping time on the C8 was slightly faster than the much longer Np-127, but even the NP-127 with vibration pads underneath the tripod legs (and this was with a very good Gitzo CF tripod) was damping out in about 2-3 seconds after a hard rap which I felt was surprisingly good given this load. Yes, it's not as stable as my DM6/Ash Tripod combo, but the mount/tripod is less than half the weight of the DM6 and the acceptable damping times make the much lighter weight a huge plus overall.

This mount and combo though was purchased originally for my TMB105/650 and it's just about a perfect match for that scope (about 14/15lbs fully loaded).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics