#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image

Lunar Pastel Impression of 16.5 ~ 17 Day Old Moon

I began observing the moon through binoculars on Tuesday night July 7th through broken clouds as it rose over a low southern horizon. I was more impressed with the clouds and thought I would include them in the sketch. Then the clouds thickened and my sketching intentions were over. So I returned Wednesday night to much in binocular observation, then through the 10 inch Dobsonian and began to rough in the essential lines. As usual I work too large, so this is the largest attempt at nearly a 16 inch diameter lunar disc sketched onto black 19" X 24" Strathmore Artagain paper. I started with the terminator originally so the sketch should be dated as a 16.5 day old moon although I finished on the 17th day (evening) to add details to the central surface area. I feel that I could complete more details but time becomes an issue. As many ask me, I'll estimate that I spent a total of about 4 1/2 hours on this particular work.

The conditions on both evenings were of quite steady air at approximately 52 degrees F.
The moon looked spectacular even through binoculars. After doing so many near full moon sketches I have indelibly imprinted so many familiar surface features now into my memory. This is surely an exercise that makes one aware of what has been observed. Yet I still do not know all the surface feature names. I just recognize every little crater, mare, mountain ridge and detail now.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My Cn Gallery

An artists work is never done; only abandoned. -Arthur C. Clarke

#2 Michael11

Michael11

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Brilliant as usual...
Best full moon drawing (can't really call it a "sketch") I've seen.

#3 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Fine as always. Must have been a really nice night. Like your defined boundary areas.

#4 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Great sketch Mark. As Michael said, I don't know if 4 and 1/2 hours is a sketch. 52 degrees... ahhh, you're killing me. I haven't seen a clear night in what, 2 weeks? C'mon cold front or high pressure. A nice sticky 90 degrees here. Maybe a shuttle launch tomorrow. :bawling:

#5 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

Beautiful two day sketch, Mark.

#6 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

Masterful sketch Mark! It's quite hypnotic really, the level of detail is stunning. This sketch is so filled with observed features and your rendition is so accurate, it's quite spellbinding. The sketch has wonderful realism and three dimensionality. Tycho's rays seem to intensify this sense. Great use of the paper in the expression of the mares. Such details as the change in albedo on the floor of Imbrium near Archimedes (the Apennine Bench), the classic trio of Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catherina and the detail captured along the terminator are just a few of the lunar delights your brilliant sketch captures. Mark, work large, work long and continue to produce these superb sketches!

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:27 PM

Mark,

An outstanding observation of the Waning Gibbous Moon. You have recorded our nearest celestial neighbor beautifully. All the major craters and maria are superbly recorded. A true masterpiece! Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#8 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Lodi, California,

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:46 AM

Mark,

Although I have had very little time for observing for far too long, and I have been away from CN for a while as well; it is great to see this awesome sketch to remind me of what is "up there".

VERY nice indeed! :jump:

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Mark,

Outstanding drawing of the gibbous Moon--very sharp (probably a benefit of working large) and three dimensional. These marathon sketching sessions that you and Erika have engaged in lately are a tribute to your skill and stamina.

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:30 AM

Thanks to all

Yes it is a 4 ~ 5 hour marathon sketch if I can call it that; so many areas are left as rather rough and unfinished [or not polished to my ultimate desire.] Although many refer to details (thanks Rich for the names as I get so absorbed in producing the image that I forget to later check the surface feature names); I have left much of this work as a rough impression. It was more an exercise of stamina as Ed calls it.

I had really hoped to blend more (Sorry Shannon, there are some areas unblended here too :cool:) although there is much layering and some blending at the center, I eventually exhausted at the center region and lower area of Tycho, so I completed the overall color fill with "scumbling" a cream off-white chalk stick on its side.

Scumbling is a term in oil painting that is just dragging the brush lightly filled with paint or "dry brush technique"; in this case the chalk stick is lightly dragged and the pigment lays down a rough thin layer leaving the texture of the canvas or paper to come through. This is what imparts that impressionistic texture that allows some abstract image where the eye imagines slight random details. So I left many actual details out in that respect as it is impossible to get every crater in under 4 or 5 hours. This is what I think overwhelms others when they first imagine trying to start a sketch of the entire moon; where does one start? What do you leave out and how can you possibly get every detail? I would say, just start somewhere with the major lines of mare and other obvious features, and the overall image will eventually appear. Of course time is limited due to the elements so it becomes a labor and test of ones tolerance. Practice will build endurance and in time the rewards will emerge in a finished work.

I was ready to do another last night as the moon rose in a deep orange hue with Jupiter at the equal horizon level also looking so orange, it appeared as Mars; but my eyes need a days rest. Now the moon is getting into the late night ~ early morning again and receding in phase.

Mark

#11 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Very Very Beautiful Mark.

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Mark,

It has already been said above - a very impressive detailed work. It may have taken you a long time but your attention to detail is just amazing. I like it. It is photographic in appearance only much better. :bow: :rainbow: :bow: :cool:
I was just thinking, you have the skill to create a very interesting yet "impossible" full moon drawing of the moon by beginning a multi-day drawing starting at the waxing crescent phase and adding terminator deep shadowed features all the way to the end of waxing gibbous. It would require a string of clear nights for two weeks but would be interesting as a work of art. Have you ever thought of attempting such a drawing?

Frank :)

#13 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Jim and Frank

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond lately. I had no internet access for the past two days.

Very interesting compliment Frank. I can appreciate this especially coming from you. Yes I get the "art looks like photographs" comment since I was about 16. You can see some that are even more photographically real when I was 18. > Halfway down the column at >
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet (Three graphite sketches from 1974)
Sorry those images are not in another site as I know many do not like Myspace. Or see www.markseibold.com bottom of front page; click on images, yet the graphite three are not enlarged so much as in Myspace. I guess I could store them in my CN Gallery in larger size.

But "better than photographs"? I don't know about that. It could start some arguments with photographers. I have had friends over the years argue that; "Why would you waste so much time drawing when you could just take a photograph??"
Little do they know?

I will consider your great idea to do a month of terminators [its been cloudy for the past two nights]. But I would like you to elaborate about why this sketch is better than a photograph.

I actually left out much in details. I could go back and polish it for many more hours. Then it would be hard to tell it from a photo. Can we do that here in the sketch forum? :shocked: :rainbow: :question: :foreheadslap: :help: :tonofbricks:

Thanks again,

Mark

#14 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Mark,

I like Frank's idea of seeing you sketch from the waxing crescent to the wanning crescent phase. I also see no problem going back and polishing your sketch (really piece of work) based on notes and memory. Anyway, just my two cents and let me add as always, outstanding work.

If I am going to make it to Portland it will be in August. Depends now what my uncle is up to with his job.

#15 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Mark,

I was referring to the specific drawing that you posted here of the 17 day old moon. I have seen many photos of the moon at 16-17 days but none are more eyecatching than your drawing above. That is what I meant by better than a photo.:waytogo:

#16 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:47 AM

Mark,

I was referring to the specific drawing that you posted here of the 17 day old moon. I have seen many photos of the moon at 16-17 days but none are more eyecatching than your drawing above. That is what I meant by better than a photo.:waytogo:

Thanks again Frank and Jay

I don't mean to dwell here on me or my art, but I am terribly interested in this process we refer to as astronomy sketch art. As you saw that others referred to my sketch as something else because I spent so much time on it [I indicated about 4 ~ 5 hours.]

I am trying to get at the importance of why we do this as I hope to plan another lecture soon in the Portland area for an astronomy class at a local college. I might also travel soon to New Mexico to see the Cloudcroft area, via LA. I would be taking all the art with me if you know of anyone interested to see the original work. I spoke to a gentleman artist today about art as he and his wife are traveling from Palm Springs. I might arrange a lecture there for their astronomy enthusiasts.

Also, I just heard that John Dobson has suffered another stroke. I would recommend that anyone interested, contact Donna Smith, Johns secretary soon if they are interested in seeing him. I understand that he will be here in Oregon for the usual telescope building class at Monmouth- Western Oregon University soon.

I am reading Clement Greenburgs Homemade Esthetics- A highly respectable book on the reasons of aesthtics in art.
I highly recommended this book.

Mark

#17 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

I'm not sure as to the importance of why. Maybe to show others there is a lot more to life than our little lives. You know, get the newbies to look up and see, pay attention to what you are looking at. SEE - don't just look. The art part - just to show off your skills. I think everyone on this forum (and every other one I've been to) is an artist or is aspiring to be. The thing that I like the best is everyone has their own style. No matter what you do you can't change that, only refine it. We're all artists, the question is how long have you been? I always think my art is *BLEEP* no matter how good everybody thinks it looks, well I should have done this or that, maybe I'll refine this. I'll drive myself crazy. Anyway that's the way I see it. Plus, getting out and forgeting about life for awhile -the daily GRIND.

#18 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm not sure as to the importance of why. We're all artists, the question is how long have you been?

Shannon

Thanks for all the input here. You have covered allot. I guess you are asking me "how long I've been an artist"?
I guess since I can remember scribbling with crayons in an old dictionary when I was ?? Two or three years age?

Mark

#19 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Mark,

A most captivating work of art. Yes sir! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#20 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Mark,

This is to my mind an absolute masterpiece of astronomy artwork.Just beautiful.

Mike

#21 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

Thanks Rony and Mike

I observed the moon at 1 ~ 2 AM this morning July 15. Spectacular with seeing at a 10/10! Then Jupiter. I have never seen so much detail. . . yet with all this, I was too tired to sketch so I snapped photos with a tripod mounted Sony Cybershot 5-mgpxl over the eyepiece. Jupiter was showing the Red Spot Hollow and in the NEB another hollow oval or two. The teminator on the moon had so much detial that it fatigued me just to observe it!

Perhaps I'll make a sketch later today from memory and the photos.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics