New CGE owner

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

Alright, so I have made the switch from AZ to EQ, just got my new CGE. I am a bit bummed out because I dont have a plate that will fit it, so I cant mount anything to it yet.

Couple of questions that will ease my mind tonight....

Of course I just had to turn it on and play with it. Im playing with it in the living room. I noticed when I slew the mount with the controller, the (now parden my lack of knowledge here) when i press the up/down buttons, the mount moves swinging the counterweight part of the mount from side to side, I can move it quite a bit....however, when i press the right/left buttons, the "mounting plate" part only moves for a slight moment, then i hear a click (i think thats the "switch" and it stops. Shouldnt I be able to slew the mount more than that?

Up/Down I can slew the mount alot, but Left/Right it will hardly move at all - all of the clutches are locked.

Is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks everyone.... I am really excited to make the move to the EQ side!

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

Congratulations on getting a really nice mount. I have a real soft spot for the CGE. And before I go any further, order a pair of Marty Cables. At the bottom of the screen, you'll see two selections. Get the second selection. Order two 3' cables. There is one hiccup that just about every CGE owner goes through. The stock cables are short and stiff. Eventually, the Dec axis cable will loosen up in the socket and you'll get runaway slews or the dreaded "Error 17" message.

Second, DO NOT adjust the Altitude without loosening the two set screws that you'll see on the vertical plate just above tha Az locking nuts. This will scar the inner part of the mount. This isn't mentioned in the manual. Dumb omission!!

Next, do a fake alignment in your living room. At startup, the mount will goto the switch position. From there, just follow the prompts and do a 2 star align allowing the mount to pick the stars. Make sure that the correct information for your location is entered, including daylight savings time.

When you've finished, try slewing RA and Dec. You should be able to move it freely up to the limit switch in RA.

Ahhhh....and when you get it mounted, we'd like to see pictures. :grin:

Edit: If you're lucky, our resident CGE expert will chime in. His name is Joe and he really likes Chicago deep dish pizza. :grin:

David

#3 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

ah David, i was hoping you would chime in. I have read a TON of your posts, and i have to say, your posts were a big reason to choose the CGE.
I will try the fake alignment and see if that allows me to slew more with the left/right buttons. But so far, i only get a tiny bit of movement then it stops.

#4 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

Ok, I just did a "fake" alignment.

When I first turn on the mount, I just hit enter to set the "switch" positions, and then i simply hit enter and align on 2 "fake" stars.

Now, when I press the up/down buttons the mount moves a whole bunch - I can slew it all over.

But when i press either the left or right buttons, the dovetail part slews for about a 1/4 inch and then stops, then i can move the other way for about the same distance and it stops.

Also, when i try to do some fake "goto's" the mount only moves the big part (the part that swings the counterweight shaft, I dont know the right term for it)

But again, nothing moves on the "dovetail" part at all. And if i press the left or right buttons, it does the same thing....it seems like its working fine, but only moves a small amount then simply stops.

Im getting worried....

#5 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

playing with it a bit more - did another fake alignment...
Now I am trying some fake "goto's" using the tour mode. The each time I select another option, the only part of the scope that moves is the DEC part. The RA never moves at all.

Something must be wrong - getting really worried now.

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Make sure you don't have the RA and DEC cables swapped. Don't ask. :o

#7 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

I love you man. Thanks for making my night.
All works great now!

Now i just need to find a mounting plate.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

#8 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Utah

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

Ditto! :grin:

#9 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

I love you man. Thanks for making my night.
All works great now!

Now i just need to find a mounting plate.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

I have three or four mounting plates. Come on over and take your pick. :grin:

Seriously though is there any one near by who might have a loaner till you can get the one you want? A fellow club member anyone?

#10 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

Faltered:

What OTA are you going to put on the CGE to start?

#11 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

I have a skywatcher 100ED, and I am really considering de-forking my 10LX200, but I really dont think I will.

I think the Skywatcher 100ED will be a good start for me for the long journey of starting astrophotography.

Any input on getting a cheap mounting plate would be appreciated! My budget was knocked out with this CGE - so I need something cheap.

#12 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Astromart is probably the best bet for used. What part of the world are you in.

I'd hold off on deforking the LX200 till you are sure you are comfortable with the whole EQ thing. I can't imagine going back to fork mounts but that is just me.

You are correct, the 100ED should be an excellent entry for AP.

#13 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

Im in Nebraska.

I did try the EQ thing a while ago, had a Vixen but just wasnt ready to get into it. Ive been board with the LX200 and I feel like I am chasing it too much (using a Meade wedge is a pain in the butt) So now with the CGE, I am all fired up. Of course, im sure it will be cloudy for a while.

I am heading up to NSP (nebraska star party) next week, so hopefully I will get something in time. I want to take this for first light, not the LX200.

If anyone sees a good deal on a set-up to mount that 100ED to my CGE, please point me in that direction. (cause im about 2 seconds from duct-tapeing it to the mount just so I can see it!)

#14 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:17 PM

Have you got rings?

Step away from the duct tape and call Astronomics tomorrow morning. You will be glad you did. Be sure to tell them you are a Cloudy Nights member. OK to Nebraska EZ.

#15 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

just the rings it came with - but it has a really small dovetail. I figure I can connect those rings it came with to a new larger dovetail right?

#16 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

That should be a Big yes! Just be sure to ask them while you are on the phone. You might even want to look at Priority mail. It is cheap and fast.

#17 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

John, that would have been my next answer. I should've caught that right away. Those are good investigational skills!!

David

#18 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

You have a couple of options ...
1) A new dovetail plate. "CGE" (obviously) or Losmandy D type plates fit your scope. You will need to check the bolt spacing on your rings to see if the pre drilled holes in the plate fit, sometimes you may have to get the plate drilled. OR ...

2) A Vixen or CG-5 dovetail adapter. I presume that the existing dovetail bar that you have is the smaller Vixen or CG-5 compatible type. In this case you can get an adapter that slides into the CGE saddle and clamps the smaller dovetail bars. These are around $100 new, one example is from ADM link. If you look carefully at one of these you will notice that they are simply a Vixen/CG5 compatible saddle bolted to a Losmandy D/CGE type dovetail bar/plate. You could build your own much more inexpensively than a new one using a used dovetail plate and an inexpensive saddle.

#19 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

ah David, i was hoping you would chime in. I have read a TON of your posts, and i have to say, your posts were a big reason to choose the CGE.
I will try the fake alignment and see if that allows me to slew more with the left/right buttons. But so far, i only get a tiny bit of movement then it stops.

Thanks for the kind words, but I let you down by not stating the obvious. Anyway, I'm glad you got it working.

The guys covered it, but get a universal Losmandy style dovetail plate and you should have little trouble mounting your existing rings to it.

David

#20 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:36 AM

Alright, I ordered the cables, as I hear its a must do. I also want to order a set of the replacement knobs. Any advice on which to get? ADM or FarPoint?

I think I will try the Losmandy to Vixen adapter for now - I think that will be a wise thing to own.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

#21 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

Alright, I ordered the cables, as I hear its a must do. I also want to order a set of the replacement knobs. Any advice on which to get? ADM or FarPoint?

I think I will try the Losmandy to Vixen adapter for now - I think that will be a wise thing to own.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

My advice would be to get the ADM. Anthony is a true craftsman and his work is excellent.
Phil

#22 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Alright, I ordered the cables, as I hear its a must do

No! It is NOT a must do. You are another victim of continued misinformation.

#23 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Alright, I ordered the cables, as I hear its a must do

No! It is NOT a must do. You are another victim of continued misinformation.

I'm relying on my experience with 2 CGEs. These cables cured the problem of Dec runaway and the Error 17 message. Perhaps you had a different experience. I tried all of the rerouting fixes, the Scopestuff cables, etc. Nothing worked like the Marty cables for me and from what I've read from other CGE owners, it worked for them also.

You do need to tell the OP what to do instead, however. He should know why I'm giving out misinformation.

David

#24 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

You know, if these cables were say... one hundred dollars, or even fifty dollars, I may be skeptical... but for under 20 dollars, even if a couple people swear by them, I think its a wise investment. After all, its a 3000 dollar mount.

Its also been a hot topic in many posts about CGE mounts, so I think the cables are a good investment.

I spend this morning doing both firmware upgrades to motor and controller - I am excited to try the new polar alignment routine.

Cant wait for first light! I am off to NSP (Nebraska Star Party) next week.

#25 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

I understand Alph's point of view ... you don't absolutely have to get replacement cables. I ran my CGE for 6 months on the stock cables with no hiccups.

The problem is with relatively stiff cables with continued movement of the mount the sockets can get loose (the problem usually is the shell of the plug which is one of the conductors, when the socket gets a little loose that connection between the plug and socket can become a problem).

Getting a set of more flexible cables (Marty cables) is simply good insurance ... not mandatory but good insurance ... plus as you've seen it's affordable insurance too.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics