New CGE owner

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

Welcome to the CGE. It's a GREAT mount. I love mine.

Anyway...cables ARE a good idea. My mount is less than a year old and I needed new cables early on. Check!

ADM knows. What would we CGE guys do without those knobs?! I love em!

Any other advice I can think of? Let me think?

Get the latest firmware for her...that's free.
I did buy the water tight case for the mount...love it. Really a class act as far as cases go. Worth a look.

Enjoy!

#27 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

I understand Alph's point of view ... you don't absolutely have to get replacement cables. I ran my CGE for 6 months on the stock cables with no hiccups.

The problem is with relatively stiff cables with continued movement of the mount the sockets can get loose (the problem usually is the shell of the plug which is one of the conductors, when the socket gets a little loose that connection between the plug and socket can become a problem).

Getting a set of more flexible cables (Marty cables) is simply good insurance ... not mandatory but good insurance ... plus as you've seen it's affordable insurance too.

Mark, you're right, the Marty cables aren't a must do...perhaps too harsh on my part. HOWEVER, as you stated, why wait until the stiff cables finally do their damage? I had to change the Dec socket because the stiff cables did enough damage that NO cable change helped. Why go through the heartache?

Faltered, you did the right thing. As you said, it's very cheap insurance.

David

#28 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

I like mine too... and I would put the replacement cables between 'must' and 'extremely desirable'... mine went 'DEC wacko' within a month or two of purchase, and was no fun on the RARE clear nights we get :( :( Nice to have if needed.

Knobs for mount a close second - OR (what I did without the knobs) for much less $$ get some hose clamps (at least for the legs anyway) tighten them to the legs where needed and they wont slip past 'em.

I did an odd thing when I first set up my mount and have kept it that way, I put a piece of red electrical tape next to the dec connect on the pier, and another on the declination head assembly to avoid confusion (am easily confused)

Another very useful is a second allen wrench (or some use T handle version) used for the PA adjusting? I now put one each and adjust without removing until finished - also nice to have a spare...

... software... check to see if you received a serial number for your NexRemote software (several including me have not) and you'll need to jump through some hoops to get it from Celestron.. It's an icredibly useful program and I recommend getting it through the install process just to make sure you can use it if desired (it's also fun to play with). I don't use it now, but tried it for a while before deciding...

HC/Mount software update, not sure what it ships with but you may need to install the updates if you want the all star align. You will need to purchase a USB to rs232 adaptor/dongle to accomplish this (make sure it has the software driver for your OS).

along the software lines also... if you intend laptop of other computer control download the ASCOM software suite and drivers (they are free, may be included on disk with nexRemote?) for the mount and planetarium interconnect[it also functions as a HUb so several things can interconnect in tandem] The ultimate of this is to get a wireless gamepad controller and control the scope through wireless.

But I have found the HC and charts / planetarium software more than adequate... and also dont see all that much difference in doing a full align and Polar align with the older and the newer all star...

enjoy your mount :) and it's great tracking and goto's !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics