Photo

Anyone have Half-Hitch Mk III ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 iluxo

iluxo

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

I'm thinking of trading my altaz for a Half-Hitch MkIII with encoders, Sky Commander and all the extras. Does anyone here on CN have experience with this mount, particularly with long focal length optics ? If so, please state the focal length of your scope.

In particular I'd like to know how useable it is with magnifications from 200X on the planets.

You can see my scopes from my sig. Thanx in advanx...

#2 Quintessence

Quintessence

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

I only began shipping the Mark III Half Hitch late this week. So far, only one person has just received his Mark III -- but five more will be shipped during the coming week. Deliveries of the Mark III Half Hitch will continue at the rate of about five per week until all the backordered mounts have been shipped.

Of course, there are quite a number of Mark II and Mark II Plus Half Hitches in the hands of customers.

Charles

#3 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

I'm not sure what scope you are going to use but I use over 200X with TSA-102 (4" 816mm) and HH Mark II (KB systems tripod) on planets without any problem. The smoothness of the mount and the two-axis balance really help for high power viewing.

#4 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

I have a Mark I and i use it with my Vixen 114mm refractor. It handles it well on a Bogen 3068 tripod. High power is easy. I'm sure the Mark II and Mark III's are even more stable. It's hands down, the best alt-az mount i've owned and i've owned many. Also, the service and fast response from Charles is the finest you'll find. With the Sky Commander it's accurate and the very definition of grab and go and i think that's exactly what Charles was striving for with this setup.

You will not be disappointed :)

#5 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

The Mark III's have just begun to be shipped. All of the first month's production run are sold and the list for the next run is filling up. When it comes to longer focal length scopes, I don't think you'll find a better mount. The main reasons for that IMO are the quality of the mount combined with the slo-mo controls. Slightly nudging a longer focal length scope requires very smooth motions to begin with(ie, finer alt/az mounts to begin with). Add slo-mo for the most precise motion and you have the best match.

#6 kwkee

kwkee

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

I'm thinking of trading my altaz for a Half-Hitch MkIII with encoders, Sky Commander and all the extras. Does anyone here on CN have experience with this mount, particularly with long focal length optics ? If so, please state the focal length of your scope.

In particular I'd like to know how useable it is with magnifications from 200X on the planets.

You can see my scopes from my sig. Thanx in advanx...

200x? The HH mount will eat that for breakfast.

However, you may need the balance trimmer for long scopes. The HH3 comes with that, so not much issue.

I have a HH2 with a Meade 8" RC (with losmandy plates top and bottom, pretty heavy). The HH2 handles it like a dream with no jerk or backlash.

#7 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

I've owned a HH1 and own a HH 2 with upgrades. I primarily use it with a Traveler and smaller scopes at high mags in excess of 200x without any complaints. Thus, I would agree with what has been said thus far. The HH 3 should perform similarly with even heavier/larger OTAs.

One recommendation, however, - a high quality/performance mount such as a HH screams out for a high quality set of legs. If you are serious about this mount (or any premium Alt/Az with high mags in mind) I would not skimp on legs. To me, the entry level tripod for this mount with an OTA such as the Traveler (or larger) would be something like a Berlebach UNI-24. If weight is really important I'd consider a Gitzo CF in the 5 series. I've used my HH 2 with both of these tripods with good results.

A HH isn't about saving money - it is all about performance. And performance is definitely what you get for the price of admission.

#8 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Another satisfied H/H II+ w/Sky Commander owner- I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better alt-az for your needs than the Mk III... the slo-motion is incredible, no way you can bump or push another alt-az mount as smoothly, important at those higher powers with a larger scope. Solid legs or pier mount a must. You won't hear many negatives about a H/H!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics