CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GoTo kit to my EQ3 or new GoTo telescope for less?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nordmann61

Nordmann61

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:58 AM

I would like to have a GoTo telescope, should I upgrade my NEQ3-2 mount to GoTo, or have a complete GoTo telescope for less?
Maybe the place where I do most of my observations will decide? Read on please.
The typical price for a Skywatcher GoTo upgrade-kit for the Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount is about £329. Overpriced it seems, for a computerized handset, two simple motors, a control-box for the motors, a simple cable-kit, and two plastic holders for the handset and the control-box.
For less you can have a complete GoTo telescope like the Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT, for £285 it comes with a 130mm f/5 reflector and two eyepieces,or Skywatcher's clone with the same 130mm reflector and two eyepieces, the price for this telescope is about £270.
For good measure, these two GoTo telescopes uses more or less the same handset as the upgrade kit, Skywatcher owns Celestron, so it is just cosmetic differences between the handsets, I believe the datasystems are also much the same for Celestron and Skywatcher.
I have the Celestron SkyScout 90mm refractor f/7,7 on my NEQ3-2 now, my 90mm refractor gives me nice views of the planets I think.
The place where most of my observations take place, is my concrete balcony with view over the city. It is conciderable light-pollution and skyglow from my city, and local light-pollution from my residencial neighbourhood.
My NEQ3-2 mount can be used with a 150mm/750mm f/5 reflector, but would deep-sky observation be possible from a light-polluted site like this anyway?
So would it be any point in upgrading my NEQ3-2 with GoTo and a 150mm reflector if deep-sky observations is made difficult by light-pollution?
If not, will a GoTo telescope like the SLT with a 130mm for less be a better choice for me from the place I do my observations?
A 150mm/750mm f/5 reflector cost £150-£175 in addition to the £329 for the GoTo upgrade kit.
What would you have done? I very much appreciate comments and suggestion from you.
Clear skies,
Nordmann61.

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

My opinion is that the price for the skywatcher goto upgrade kit for eq3-2 is too high. The problem is that the price is the same for the upgrade kits for eq3-2,eq5,heq5 and eq6. I bought the upgrade kit for heq5 and the price seems ok if you consider the price of heq5 and eq6 mounts but not for eq3-2. I think that 150mm f5 reflector will be too much for eq3-2 for astrophotography. I also live under light polluted sky in a big city and it is difficult to make good deep space pictures in this conditions. Maybe the slt will be better choice in your conditions.

#3 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

I would shop carefully and stay away from the upgrade.

#4 Nordmann61

Nordmann61

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

Thank you Neptun2 for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate your advice.
I have not really thought of doing astrophotograpy, I should have mentioned that in my post.
Kind regards,
Nordmann61.

#5 Nordmann61

Nordmann61

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

Thank you Johnfdean for taking the time to reply to my post!
Kind regards,
Nordmann61.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics