Photo

GoTo kit to my EQ3 or new GoTo telescope for less?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nordmann61

Nordmann61

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Norway.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:58 AM

I would like to have a GoTo telescope, should I upgrade my NEQ3-2 mount to GoTo, or have a complete GoTo telescope for less?
Maybe the place where I do most of my observations will decide? Read on please.
The typical price for a Skywatcher GoTo upgrade-kit for the Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount is about £329. Overpriced it seems, for a computerized handset, two simple motors, a control-box for the motors, a simple cable-kit, and two plastic holders for the handset and the control-box.
For less you can have a complete GoTo telescope like the Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT, for £285 it comes with a 130mm f/5 reflector and two eyepieces,or Skywatcher's clone with the same 130mm reflector and two eyepieces, the price for this telescope is about £270.
For good measure, these two GoTo telescopes uses more or less the same handset as the upgrade kit, Skywatcher owns Celestron, so it is just cosmetic differences between the handsets, I believe the datasystems are also much the same for Celestron and Skywatcher.
I have the Celestron SkyScout 90mm refractor f/7,7 on my NEQ3-2 now, my 90mm refractor gives me nice views of the planets I think.
The place where most of my observations take place, is my concrete balcony with view over the city. It is conciderable light-pollution and skyglow from my city, and local light-pollution from my residencial neighbourhood.
My NEQ3-2 mount can be used with a 150mm/750mm f/5 reflector, but would deep-sky observation be possible from a light-polluted site like this anyway?
So would it be any point in upgrading my NEQ3-2 with GoTo and a 150mm reflector if deep-sky observations is made difficult by light-pollution?
If not, will a GoTo telescope like the SLT with a 130mm for less be a better choice for me from the place I do my observations?
A 150mm/750mm f/5 reflector cost £150-£175 in addition to the £329 for the GoTo upgrade kit.
What would you have done? I very much appreciate comments and suggestion from you.
Clear skies,
Nordmann61.

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

My opinion is that the price for the skywatcher goto upgrade kit for eq3-2 is too high. The problem is that the price is the same for the upgrade kits for eq3-2,eq5,heq5 and eq6. I bought the upgrade kit for heq5 and the price seems ok if you consider the price of heq5 and eq6 mounts but not for eq3-2. I think that 150mm f5 reflector will be too much for eq3-2 for astrophotography. I also live under light polluted sky in a big city and it is difficult to make good deep space pictures in this conditions. Maybe the slt will be better choice in your conditions.

#3 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: southern tip of Illinois

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

I would shop carefully and stay away from the upgrade.

#4 Nordmann61

Nordmann61

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

Thank you Neptun2 for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate your advice.
I have not really thought of doing astrophotograpy, I should have mentioned that in my post.
Kind regards,
Nordmann61.

#5 Nordmann61

Nordmann61

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

Thank you Johnfdean for taking the time to reply to my post!
Kind regards,
Nordmann61.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics