Crow Haven Observatory - a small nested ROR design

• Please log in to reply
479 replies to this topic

#476 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

...and a continued view a bit further to the obs...

Attached Files

#477 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Maya,

It's been a while now since you had the observatory built. If you had to do it all over, and with what you now know, what would you have done differently?

Thanks
Bart

#478 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hi Bart, :grin:
The observatory design has proved itself to be perfect in every way! :grin: It has weathered hurricane-force winds and rain with no hiccups, and if we were to have heavy snow the build is solid and sturdy enough to hold the weight.

There isn't anything I would want done differently! It was built to conform with the building size restrictions and, if it weren't for those, the only thing that could be done with this would be to build an even bigger observatory and add extra piers simply because I have many different types of scopes.....but.....with the outside electrical connections, etc., it is more than easy to also setup outside the observatory with a large dob for example, or put in other pier pads. The observatory has tons of storage space and the heated warm-room and dehumidifier I consider a 'must-have.' :grin:
---Maya

#479 FTLAUDSKY

FTLAUDSKY

Explorer 1

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

wow..impressive!! Maybe one day I can have an observatory. In the meantime I am trying to get a pier setup in the yard and that isn't even going over well....one can dream...Thank you for this thread. Gave me inspiration for sure...

#480 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

:grin: Thank you for the reply! I'm glad it provided inspiration. :grin: I hope you get your yard pier working.
I may eventually add an outside pier setup to use in the warm months with other scopes. I don't want to add a lot of concrete ground, though, since it radiates heat, so I'm going with mostly lawn around the observatory.
Clear Skies! :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics