CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is 40 lbs. too much for an Atlas EQ-G?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

Try THIS with an atlas ;)

Attached Files

#27 Yedgy

Yedgy

Viking 1

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:36 AM

What--no Telrad? No RDF? No green laser? And how about a Newt in case you want to view from the side? ;)

#28 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

People do put 12-inch Newtonians and 12-inch Meade OTAs on 'em... Not that I think that is _necessarily_ a good thing. :lol:

#29 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

I'm confused.., regardless of whether or not its any good, surely you actually meant to say that EQMOD is simply AVAILALBLE FOR for the EQ6, but that EQMOD isn't available for the CGE/G11, yes?

Enthused? Of course you are enthused? Oh, CONfused! :lol:

Now you've got me that-a-way. What I said conveys (IMHO):

1. EQMOD is a good thing.
2. The Atlas has it.
3. G11/CGE do not.

What more is there to say? :question:

#30 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

Assuming a carefully balanced SBS setup with a relatively short moment arm (FSQ106EDX and a guidescope), is 40 pounds (total of 2 scopes, rings, plates, cameras, etc.) too much for an Atlas? :help: In case it matters, the Atlas will be mounted on a transportable pier, not on the usual tripod.

Thanks!
Tony

Back to the original question....

My rig is 38.9 lbs (just weighed it). MAK-Newt 190, heavy guidescope, DSLR, rings, cables etc. Very close to 40 lbs, and no problems.

Here is a single, unguided 2 minute exposure taken last night. Lots of LP, lots of grain, uncentered, etc. etc., but shows the capabilities of the mount.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics