Help! PA routine missing.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

• Loc: Swindon, UK

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

I have a new CGE mount and it's clear, so this is my first star align with the thing.
I have two star aligned and calibrated to a star in the West for cone error. GOTO's seem OK.
But, I can't seem to find the PA routine in the HC.
I know it should be in the Utilities menu, but it's not there.

Any ideas? :confused:

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

I have a new CGE mount and it's clear, so this is my first star align with the thing.
I have two star aligned and calibrated to a star in the West for cone error. GOTO's seem OK.
But, I can't seem to find the PA routine in the HC.
I know it should be in the Utilities menu, but it's not there.

Any ideas? :confused:

It's been switched to AllStar. Hop over to Celestron's website and check out the CGEM manual (I believe it is the only one that currently has the info). It's toward the back under polar alignment. Basically, you access it like you would "sync". BTW, I would suggest a minimum of two cone stars. ;)

#3 skyguy55

skyguy55

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver Canada (Rain Forest)

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hi Mick,

It's under the ALIGN button.

Gregg

#4 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:44 AM

Thanks guys. I thought I was going mad :crazy:

#5 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

Oh! one other thing. Is it possible to upgrade my HC to the latest version 4.16?

#6 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Not only is it possible, but it's easy! Go to C's website and download the HC update and follow the destructions...

#7 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Gary, yes I did the upgrade this afternoon.
So for tonight I did a two star align and three stars for cone error. I then did a polar align on Navi in Cassiopeia to finish. Tweaked it with the allan key and that was that. I then went straight to Jupiter and it was almost spot on :-)
It's so nice to have the planet stay on the camera chip without it drifting off all the time at high mag.

Thanks for the help guys :bow:

#8 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Mick, It's highly recommended that after the PA, you Unsync, then do another 2+3 replacing the originals (you did move the mount), then smile. You will be dead nuts on target then.

FWIW Dept. - I do 2+4 just because the 4th is always close if not in the center, and the added star is like security.
Another thing that helps future alignments is to Calibrate the mount.
Menu>Utilities>Calibrate Mount>R.A. Make sure you always start your alignments with the index marks on the RA/Dec lined up, and next time your first alignment star will be very close.

#9 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:26 AM

Mick, It's highly recommended that after the PA, you Unsync, then do another 2+3 replacing the originals (you did move the mount)

I thought I read somewhere that with the Allstar polar align now that you didn't need to do another 2+3 because it adjusted the sky model to accommodate the 'move'.
Still it wouldn't be a problem, although as I say Jupiter was almost dead centre, and certainly not out as far as the initial polar align :question:
Although all this stuff has been covered in previous CN posts very recently.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics