Photo

LXD55 Jumper to RA Drive All time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Wondering if I can make a jumper to plug in the HBX port so when the switch is turned on the mount starts tracking. Or Use the 497 but have it defalt to RA drive tracking.

I just want to set my mount up and turn it on and have the tracking on all the time.

My old mounts are this way, they even have a slip clutch so you push the OTA to where you want it, let go, and the drive tracks the object.

With the LXD I would unlock the RA lock and Dec lock put on target and lock the locks. But I want the drive running without the need to play with the 497.

Is this possible?

Robert

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

Robert,

LXD55/75 Autostar is a computerized GOTO system and indeed does need teh intelligent handbox (497) to operate, even just for a simple tracking operation.
What you are describing is a tracking-only (with a manual clutch) system such as Orion's TrueTrack system. These two types are quite different with each other.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

I was afraid of that. I guess I'll use the 497 control.

Thanks, Robert

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

I was afraid of that. I guess I'll use the 497 control.

Thanks, Robert

It should require only one or two button presses to initiate tracking. Certainly no date/time entry or star alignment, because it's an EQ mount and doesn't need to know those things in order to track.

There WAS a manual controller offered for that mount which would do what you want - but I can't tell you where to get one these days.

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

John,

Thanks for the update.
Hope the picture shows the right one.
I remember such one can control DH-motor (4504) for tracking and directional movement. The backside "A" and "B" screws are two cleverly concealed switches.

This fixed function intelligent HBX can be found occasionally in *Bay or Amart inexpensively.

Don't know how many versions are in existance and if the firmware can recognize multipel mount's intelligent motor and apply the right ratio to it.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Attached Files

#6 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

I have one just like that for my Meade ETX125EC which also uses a 497 Autostar. The part number for that controller is 35-4702-00.

My ETX with that controller does just what I want when in the "Polar Mode" it defaults to RA tracking all the time when you power up the mount.

I don't know if it will work on the LXD55, I don't think I want to see expensive smoke and sparks and little sizziling sounds. I guess I could call Meade TS and see what they say.

Robert

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

I used one of these on an LXD55 once. This was the default controller that was included if you bought a new LXD55 with the 6 inch Netwonian telescope. Originally, the Autostar was an Option and not standard on some configurations. This was the handset that was included.

#8 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

I called Meade tech support and yes you can use the EC controller in place of the Autostar.

I plugged in my EC controller and it does just start running the RA drive but in southern hemisphere! I can reconfigure and put the controller in southern hem. to drive in northern, but I'm not sure why this is happening but something isn't right.

I think I'm just going to use the Autostar and push a few buttons to get the RA drive running.

Robert

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics