Photo

Back to Back Jupiter Sketches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hello to all,

We had a spell of clear weather here (over now) that allowed me to go out 2 nights in a row (!) and observe the heavens. I spent part of my time looking at the King and came up with these two sketches.

Both were done at the eyepiece (and with bright moonlight as part of my clipboard illumination) with 2B and HB pencils using Sol Robbins's fine template. Blending was done with my finger.

The way I was sitting with the diagonal turned, the SCT showed south at the top of the view, but with E-W mirror reversed. I flipped the drawing horizontally digitally before I added the text in order to present the "classic" south up, west to the left view.

Here is Tuesday morning's sketch:

Attached Files

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

Here is the sketch from Wednesday morning. I was surprised to see what I thought was a shadow transit--it turned out to actually be a Galilean moon itself, appearing very dark against the Jovian background. Usually, the moons are difficult to detect once they are in front of the disk, but I found that's not always true.

I hope that these two drawings show that, to paraphrase Erostothenes, you can't look at the same Jupiter twice. :cool:

Attached Files

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

Michael,

Two very nice sketches of the king. :bow: :cool: That is an amazing capture of Ganymede? I would guess. And you are so correct about Jupiter, it just keeps changing. :rainbow:

Frank :)

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

Michael,

Wonderful sketches of Jupiter. Yes, it keeps changing and on the evening of Sept. 2nd or 3rd all of the Galilean moons will not be visible. As a member on our local board point out, isn't it ironic that we try to see objects all the time and on that evening we won't be able to see four main objects around Jupiter and that will be the goal of that observation? Nicely done. One of these nights I have to try sketching Jupiter, I guess I'll have to find the template for it that is around here.

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Great sketches of Jupiter, your sketches have really gotten good just the right mix of hard and soft detail, very realistic with the eyepiece view. Jay you can get one of Sol Robbins excellant templates just go to search an old post of his should have it.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Frank, Jay, T5--thank you very much, guys.

Frank, the only times I've been able to see a moon in front of the disk is when it is on the darker Jovian limb. Once they move towards the center of the disk, the glare and seeing conditions can make them hard to detect. It can be done--I've read reports from other observers who have followed a moon's transit, but it is usually difficult at best. This time, Ganymede jumped out at me.

Jay, if you look at the top of the forum for the "how-to" threads, you should find a link for templates--Sol's is there (and it's a dandy).

Tommy, thanks for the nice compliment. I really enjoy observing Jupiter, so getting sketch practice is a lot of fun. :)

#7 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

Michael,

Very nice sketches of Jupiter indeed, and I am very fond of the transit of Ganymede that you captured nicely.

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thanks, Wade. :) This apparition is a very good one for transits (and occultations). Good luck with your observations and drawings.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

Michael,

Excellent observations of Jupiter. You have captured detail over the major belts in both observations (especially the North Equatorial Belt (NEB)). The transit of Ganymede is interesting. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

Thanks, Carlos. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics