can i upgrade my mount ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnypq

johnypq

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

I am looking at buying a Omni XLT (CG-4 German equatorial mount), can i upgrade the mount to make it GOTO and run it off my computer ???? I was planning on putting an old Newtonion reflector 6" on it. Is this mount considered fairly decent ? What would be involved in making it GOTO. I am a newbe at this.

Thanks
John

Attached Files

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Anyone with sufficient funds can make any mount a go-to.

In your case though, it would cost you more than most, so the answer is "Yes, but it is not going to be finacially feasible for you to do so."

Typically, the kind of mount that is "Easy" to adapt to Go-To is of the CG5 or similar type pattern where you can easily bolt on a RA drive motor.

Your particular mount does not take the "Standard" solutions (which is almost always either an aftermarket go-to kit for CG5 clones or salvaged LXD55 motors and hand controller). The CG4 uses a motor that mounts an a stamped steel bracket on the side of the mount. All of the Go-to conversions I have ever seen go UNDER the RA axis and utilise the "Standard" Vixen style mounting.

Seeing that you can buy a complete functioning LDX55 in very nice condition for $250, I would say that you would simply be better off going in that direction.

It used to be that you could buy the LXD55 motors and controller from people for $200 to $250, but now that you can buy the whole stinking mount for $240, I would think you would be FAR better off just selling your current mount (or keeping it for another "Grab and Go" scope) and buying a used LXD55.

The

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics