Motorized Mount Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn Mann

Shawn Mann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Hi guys! I just got a SkyWatcher EQ5 SynScan mount. To power it out in the field, I also purchased a Celestron Power Tank 17. The Power Tank is defective, and I need to take it back.

In the mean time, is there a way to power my mount so I can try it out? Can I buy an adapter and plug it into an outlet outside my house?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

Shawn,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Synscan EQ5 is also using a 12V power system. With its included cigarette jack power cable, it can go into many "12V Automobile JumpStart Battery" DC 12 Volt socket. Such devcie quite often can be found for $20 - $30 USD.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 palerider

palerider

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

Shawn,

You should be able to find an AC-DC power adaptor that will allow you to run the mount from any normal household outlet. It looks very similar to a power adaptor that provides power to a laptop computer. I bought one for my CG5-ASTG when I'm observing from my patio. Works like a charm! I got it for around $22.00 shipped. Hope that helps.

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:55 AM

Shawn,

If you want to buy an AC-DC power adapter, please make sure it is a 12V 2A (or more) Switching Power Supply. When such unit is used outdoors un-shelter environment, don't let it get wet or use it in very high humidity environment!

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

Radio Shack used to sell a 12 Vdc 3 amp power supply.

Be sure that the power supply you use is rated for about 1500 MA or better (1.5 amp). These mounts take very little power for tracking, but a long slew usually will draw over one amp.

You may find that you prefer to use a 12 Vdc power supply rather than the power tank when you are near an outlet because you simply don't have to worry about the power fading over the evening.

I made a very long cable for my power supply.. About 30 ft. I bought a thin 4 wire twisted pair cable from Fry's. Becasue the conducters were really small, I used one pair for + and one pair for -. Otherwise, I think the conductors would have been too small.

I like this cable because it doesn't "Twist up" like lamp cord and lays flat on the ground. It coils very easily too. I soldered on a male cigerette lighter plug on one end, and a three recepticle 12 Vdc plug on the other. This way I can run more than one scope, or I can run a scope and a dew shield, or a 12 vdc light.

Now I can just leave the 12VDC power supply plugged in all the time under the shelter of my covered porch and run the long power cord out. I have a power tank, but since doing this, I don't have to mess with it anyomre.

And I use the long cord in the field and power my scope from my car.

#6 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

I have an EQ6 mount.
I just use a 7 ampere hour lead gel battery soldered to
a cigarette lighter socket.
It can last for 5 hours or more as long as you don't
slew all the time.
The socket cost me $8 from an electronics hobby store &
the battery $35.
I use a 14.2 Volt 5 Amp DC power supply to charge it up again.
The advantage is - no long cables - it just sits under the mount. You wouldn't want anyone to trip over a cable in
the dark - especialy if it was you, carrying your expensive
telescope back inside at the end of the night.
Dropping a telescope can easily ruin it.

If I wanted to I could buy a bigger battery.
The next size up is 17 Ampere hours which would last all
night even if you were constantly slewing.

#7 Shawn Mann

Shawn Mann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hey, thanks a lot guys. I believe I got the right thing from Radio Shack, and am going to try it tonight. Thanks for all the help!

#8 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

Go to Walmart and pick up one of those portable, rechargeable car re-starter thingies. Works great and you can also keep it in your car in place of jumper cables

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics