EM-11 Mount question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tolis

Tolis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hello all! I am new to the forum, and I would like to kindly ask for some advice regarding the purchase of a telescope / mount.

After some research I am seriously considering the Takahashi TSA 102 with an EM-11 (USD-III or Temma 2 Jr) mount. I am interested to start astrophoto but also in some visual use and these appealed to me because I appreciate build quality and good performance (and also fit the budget well).

I must say though that I am a bit confused regarding the mount. It is my understanding that the Tak EM-200 is rated for heavier equipment but also more accurate. For using with the TSA-102 is the EM-200 going to make a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance!

#2 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

The EM200 has less PE than the EM11 but if you are autoguiding, then that will help to even it out a bit. From my personal experience, my EM200 is more stable and can handle my FSQ better with less variation seen in PHD than with the EM11/10. I have an EM10 with EM11 motors and it is still a top notch mount in comparison to anything else out there in its weight class. If you are looking to put on some larger scopes shortly down the road, you might be better off saving for the EM200.

Good luck !
S

#3 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

As Skyler said the EM-10/11 are great mounts, but more limited in carry capacity. I have had my EM-10 for 15 years now and it still works great.
The EM-200 will do a better job when you start adding more equipment.
The drive system is up to you. I like my UDS drive because I can run on a 7ah battery four nights before needing to charge it.

#4 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Like they said, the EM200 is much more stable and in the future, should you decide on a larger scope, the EM200 should be pretty good for anything up to a TOA-130 or a TEC 140. I once had a TSA-102 on an EM-11 Temma 2 Jr. and felt that it was just enough for visual observation. Add a little wind though and forget about it...

Sergio

#5 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hello all! I am new to the forum, and I would like to kindly ask for some advice regarding the purchase of a telescope / mount.

After some research I am seriously considering the Takahashi TSA 102 with an EM-11 (USD-III or Temma 2 Jr) mount. I am interested to start astrophoto but also in some visual use and these appealed to me because I appreciate build quality and good performance (and also fit the budget well).

I must say though that I am a bit confused regarding the mount. It is my understanding that the Tak EM-200 is rated for heavier equipment but also more accurate. For using with the TSA-102 is the EM-200 going to make a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance!

Takahashi mounts are fabulous in general. What is your level of experience in astronomy? Is this your first step in, or have you been observing for a while?

#6 Tolis

Tolis

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:41 AM

Thank you very much guys for taking the time to give me advice.

Eric, this will be the first telescope for me, although I have been interested in astronomy/astrophysics since forever (reading books, following news, etc).

#7 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Wow. Good for you. You're certainly jumping in with both feet! :watching:

FWIW, my first mount was an EM-10, roughly 15 years ago. Life ended up pushing astronomy to the side for a while, and I am gradually easing back into it. I wish I still had that mount! :foreheadslap:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics