Photo

Portability of AP900?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ramses

Ramses

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

I have just received the email notification that I can purchase an AP900. Right now I am almost exclusively imaging, without much visual observation. My Atlas works well with the TV60is and the VC200L but I am considering moving up to a large refractor (TOA 150 or TEC 160 or similar).

Right now I move my setup out each night, polar align, image, then move the setup in. I would like to have an observatory in the future however at the present time it is difficult with the rules of my home owners association.

My question is, how portable is the AP900 mount, what pier or tripod should I be considering to make it more portable, and are there any other mounts that may be more portable but still carry a similar weight load. I have considered the Takahshi EM400, but the slew rates are quite slow and the issues with portability seem to be about the same.

I believe there are some members that image with an AP900 as a portable setup. Let me know what issues I should consider as I make this decision in the next week or so.

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

I found the AP900 so portable, I sold it and got a 1200. It is equally as portable. The AP portable pier breaks down easily and is rock solid. I have to setup every session too.

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

I just sold my Mach1GTO and ordered a AP900 and figure it will still be my quick grab and go mount. The RA sections weighs about what the Mach1 does so no single piece and very much, and they go together very easily.

And unlike LLEEGE, I don't want to do my 1200 that often :)

I picked up a used TOA-150 and wanted to be able to image with either of my mounts and the Mach1 would be over the limit with the complete set up.

#4 Ramses

Ramses

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks guys. It sounds like I can manage the AP900, and will be able to transition it into a permanent mounting when I am able to build an observatory. It looks like the consensus is that the AP Portable Pier is the way to go for mounting it as well.

#5 nik hodges

nik hodges

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

i would have no problem using mine as a portable mount, and yes the AP portable pier is very good -)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics